Getting into it - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

View moonmanhere's Photo Album My Photos
Getting into it

Hey there, everyone. I know that there's a formal "introductions" section, but I wanted to go a little beyond that, so I didn't think there was any harm posting here.

My name is Tony, and I'm a 26-year-old financial professional. Work aside, I'm quite happy with my life. My job, however, leaves me quite unfulfilled. I'm not planning on making any changes now, but I've been thinking about setting myself up for a change somewhere down the line.

Somewhat separately, I've been interested in getting into woodworking/trim/finish carpentry for some time. There isn't one specific reason, just many, varied ones. I like expressing myself artistically, but I also enjoy the structure offered by a more methodical art form. I enjoy working with my hands, and there's something very appealing about the definitiveness of finishing a project and seeing the end result sitting there in from of you. Carpentry just seems like a great blend of art and function, and something I can (for the most part) teach myself how to do.

I know there's very little chance of this turning into a full-time endeavor even in the distant future, but, at the very least, it seems to be something I'd enjoy doing as a hobby. I've got the space (a garage and unfinished basement) and a bit of money for at least a modest initial investment in tools and material.

My question is this: do the reasons listed above seem like the appropriate reasons to get into the woodworking/carpentry arena, and how would I get started? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmanhere View Post
Hey there, everyone. I know that there's a formal "introductions" section, but I wanted to go a little beyond that, so I didn't think there was any harm posting here.

My name is Tony, and I'm a 26-year-old financial professional. Work aside, I'm quite happy with my life. My job, however, leaves me quite unfulfilled. I'm not planning on making any changes now, but I've been thinking about setting myself up for a change somewhere down the line.

Somewhat separately, I've been interested in getting into woodworking/trim/finish carpentry for some time. There isn't one specific reason, just many, varied ones. I like expressing myself artistically, but I also enjoy the structure offered by a more methodical art form. I enjoy working with my hands, and there's something very appealing about the definitiveness of finishing a project and seeing the end result sitting there in from of you. Carpentry just seems like a great blend of art and function, and something I can (for the most part) teach myself how to do.

I know there's very little chance of this turning into a full-time endeavor even in the distant future, but, at the very least, it seems to be something I'd enjoy doing as a hobby. I've got the space (a garage and unfinished basement) and a bit of money for at least a modest initial investment in tools and material.

My question is this: do the reasons listed above seem like the appropriate reasons to get into the woodworking/carpentry arena, and how would I get started? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If you have an interest, that can be reason enough. There are many facets to woodworking that you could experience. It is a challenging and rewarding form of expression.

There are many tool threads on this forum, and many recent ones. You might think about what you would want to try and then figure out what tools to get. I wouldn't go out and fully equip yourself without some plan in mind.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
"....My question is this: do the reasons listed above seem like the appropriate reasons to get into the woodworking/carpentry arena, and how would I get started? Your input would be greatly appreciated"

The definitive answer is "YES!!!"
The best way to get into trim/finish carpentry is to get a part-time job with a remodeler, even if just on weekends. For specific advise there are plenty of finish carpenters on here. Best of luck.

Oh, and BTW...welcome to the forum.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

View moonmanhere's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, and the advice. What sort of literature would you recommend to start off with? Any titles come to mind? The "Complete Illustrated Guide to..." series keeps popping up in my searches ( http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...ted+guide+wood ).
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if there are any books that can get you started. However, I'm not a reader. I guess I take for granite that I have been doing this stuff for literally most of my life. With that said Wood, Popular Woodworking a other woodworking magazines give good advise on tools,plans and just basic woodworking info. I would never consider just learning from reading but it can speed up your learning and help you absorb the knowledge better.

Tony's idea of getting a part time job is good but if you can hook up with someone in your area that is willing to teach you that would be better. Especially if they are doing the type of work your interested in learning. Although there are many different types of woodworking most woodworkers use joinery and build things like furniture, cabinets etc. and would be the best choice to learn from. Carpenters usually build and trim houses etc, not all carpenters are woodworkers but allot of them are. Turning is another form of woodworking that is very fun and rewarding. You can turn pens, bottle stoppers, ornaments, plates, bowls and a ton of other things. Not all woodworkers or carpenters can do turning. I myself am just learning how to turn and enjoying every bit of it.

As Cabinetman said decide what you want to learn and then figure how to do that and decide on what tools to buy.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode