Garden Storage/Secure Box Plans? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

View Chrome's Photo Album My Photos
Garden Storage/Secure Box Plans?

Hi all,

Looking for a little help and advice.

Has anyone got reasonably simple plans for an outside garden storage box that they could link or send me please? I'm not a really experienced woodworker, primarily being a turner, however I've got all the tools and kit I would need in my workshop. I'm assuming it would be made from treated timber as it rains a lot here in the UK..

For clarification what I mean to build is one of those locking 'chest style' outdoor cupboards for storing garden furniture, lawnmowers, leaf blowers, hosepipes etc. It has to be reasonably secure (not Fort Knox like), and I will anchor it into the ground also it does not need to have a back necessarily, as it can be built against a wall. The kind of thing I'm assuming it will have one large or double opening doors and perhaps a hinged 'lid' as well. It will need to be a fair size as it will have to hold a lawnmower etc. as mentioned as well as garden furniture when not in use (fold up type), so I'm thinking approx 72" wide, 48" tall and 30 - 36" deep.

Has anyone got any plans for anything like that? Thanks for any help you can offer.

I know some people may suggest building a shed, but I don't want to as I intend to add a shed at a later date, but don't want it full of mowers etc.

Cheers, Chrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have any plans but you may want to consider two things. Make it with a back. It will be easier to hinge the lid and will be more sturdy. You will also avoid any littlle critters making a home inside it. Also, make the lid slighty sloped and put roofing shingles on it to shed the rain. I hope this is helpful.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Johnson For This Useful Post:
Chrome (08-14-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode