4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By Woodshop Therapy
  • 2 Post By difalkner

post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

View tylerdru90's Photo Album My Photos
Garage door insulation/sound deadening

Hey everyone,
Iíve been looking into some methods for insulating my garage door to help with the sound mainly but also to keep the heat out in the summer. The cheapest route seems to be the standard r-13. Do you guys think that will help with the sound a decent amount? Iím not looking for a complete soundproof solution. The other option would be r-10 2 inch foam boards with acoustic panels, but that would be around 3 times the cost of r13. Also, would added weight to the garage door be a concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tylerdru90; 02-11-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There is insulating board especially made for garage doors. I've never actually seen it but I expect it has a surface not as easily damaged as foam board. You need to think about how it wears too.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
There is insulating board especially made for garage doors. I've never actually seen it but I expect it has a surface not as easily damaged as foam board. You need to think about how it wears too.

Good point. Iím only planning on being in my home for another year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdru90 View Post
Good point. Iím only planning on being in my home for another year.

I had another thought after posting if you choose to use foam board it's really dangerous cutting it on a table saw. The stuff compresses easily and is very prone to kick back. I worked for one shop that used a lot of it and there was only two of us allowed to cut it because it was so unpredictable.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
It's all around cheaper to just get the ins. panels that are premade for your type of door. Their made to fit and have a better protective exposed side.....Also adds value to your home when selling as it's not a "rigged" solution.

Just my opinion......I'm a GC/rebuilder (MOST of my work is fixing what others TRIED to save money on up front), I also advise my clients when/IF they decide to sell on what to actually have to fix and what is a cosmetic that most change anyway after purchase.....(unbelievable as to what buyers expect and what things they're NOT paying for in a "used" house price).

Food for thought!!!
Kerrys likes this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
It's all around cheaper to just get the ins. panels that are premade for your type of door. Their made to fit and have a better protective exposed side.....Also adds value to your home when selling as it's not a "rigged" solution.

Just my opinion......I'm a GC/rebuilder (MOST of my work is fixing what others TRIED to save money on up front), I also advise my clients when/IF they decide to sell on what to actually have to fix and what is a cosmetic that most change anyway after purchase.....(unbelievable as to what buyers expect and what things they're NOT paying for in a "used" house price).

Food for thought!!!

I did look into this, I think the major upside to this, is quicker install, and also I really like the white facing on it as well! It definitely looks like itís worth a few extra pennies.

post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 02:27 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Good thread. I'm going to box in my single steel garage door. The wife covered it with plastic sheeting and sealed he edges. But the garage/shop still gets cold. We plan on building a frame around the door with 2x4s, insulation between the studs, and covering with OSB. I can use the extra wall space for shelving or hanging odds and ends of tools, etc.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 PM

View Woodshop Therapy's Photo Album My Photos
If you're not looking for your door to operate, you can wrap it in a foundation blanket like I do. I do this in the winter to keep the cold out and it works well. Here's a video so show you how

Another option is to build a temporary wall in front of the door. Providing a separation will deaden the sound so it's not transferred through the material as easily.

I've never tried insulating my garage door as I replaced it with a double walled insulated garage door (metal on inside and outside with insulation in the middle... there's still air gaps around the outside thought.

Cheers,
Scott
Bob Willing likes this.

Scott Bennett - Sharing the enjoyment of woodworking via Woodshop Therapy.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Iím gonna go with the kit Tim suggested and maybe do 1/2Ē r3 Foam board first and then the door insulation on top. Iíll report back in two weeks or so and report my experience in case anyone else is curious!

post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 10:13 AM

View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
My door is insulated but the cracks between panels and around the sides leak like a sieve. I made a blanket of R13 insulation and vapor barrier that covers the entire door and seals the opening nicely. Much better but the door can't be opened with the blanket in place so I don't use the door in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050057.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	341289  

post #11 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a 2" insulated garage door made by Ideal from Menards and really like it I heat my garage during the winter months in the UP of Michigan. I have in floor heating and It stays at 46F during the coldest months. One nice thing it doesn't warp like my 1" door use to.
It was expensive but it saves me heating cost.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I insulated ours years ago with R13 and it works great. It isn't the prettiest solution but it's our shop now so it sort of fits right in. What it does do, however, is insulate well! I know the door is heavier now but the opener doesn't seem to have a problem with it. But then, I only open it once a year or so to do a thorough cleaning. The shop is climate controlled so the door stays down.

Garage door insulation/sound deadening-insulated-door.jpg

David
mmwood_1 and Bob Willing like this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #13 of 13 Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys itís mostly done. Just have to touch some stuff up. It definitely cuts back on the sound enough. I canít wait to try out some AC in the summer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode