Garage Break In's - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

View splinter2's Photo Album My Photos
Garage Break In's

Well as we all fear, that some Punks or Punks, break into your garage and take stuff, It's happing in are area almost nightly, and iam nervous about my Garage. I cant affored to have some montioring system on my Garage, but i did install a Motion light, and thinking of installing some type of bars for the window, i only have one, but if they want in they will find away. What are some of the thing you do to make your tools safe...I have a 9mm and a 357 but my garage is not attached to my house, and would hear them if they did break in....

Splinter2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Try this

The motion detector can be used to turn on a buzzer or siren as well as a light. Just make sure the wattage doesn't exceed the light. You can run a wire back to the house to turn something on so it will be easier to hear. Radio shack has some stuff to help. Home depot has the motion detectors. Bars or a plywood door on the inside of the window on a hinge will keep them out and you can open it for light. You may want to just screw it on permanently. A dead bolt lock with keys from both sides is good and reinforce the strike plates. (Home Depot) Padlock the garage door from the inside through the side rails so you can't lift the door up. Fight crime...shoot first! Just kidding...bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The motion detector can be used to turn on a buzzer or siren as well as a light. Just make sure the wattage doesn't exceed the light. You can run a wire back to the house to turn something on so it will be easier to hear. Radio shack has some stuff to help. Home depot has the motion detectors. Bars or a plywood door on the inside of the window on a hinge will keep them out and you can open it for light. You may want to just screw it on permanently. A dead bolt lock with keys from both sides is good and reinforce the strike plates. (Home Depot) Padlock the garage door from the inside through the side rails so you can't lift the door up. Fight crime...shoot first! Just kidding...bill
I agree with what Bill just told you, although i would like to shoot them first, trying your best to prevent the break-in would be first and formost. Anytime a light or siren or both activate you stand less chance of people hanging around to steal your things. The deadbolt keyed on both sides is great because even though you get through a window you still can't haul large pieces of equipment ie: TS, Planer, and other large items through a small opening. By just having one window i too would install permanent bars, or a set of well built shutters that you can open from the inside. Good Luck.

Last edited by garryswf; 03-19-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
All good suggestions. Especially the siren and light. Burglars do not like light and noise.

G
post #5 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Get yourself an effective system, called EWS (Early Warning System). It detects and destroys for the same price:

post #6 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
A customer of mine is a local nursery. He was being broken into almost weekly. Broke into a door(actually tore it off the hinges), we replaced the door with steel with security hinges, so they broke into a window, we covered the windows, so they broken in thru a garage type door, we blocked the glass, so the broke out the door panels, and on and on. And this was just for the change in the register, less than $20. Cops finally caught him in the act.

Moral: you can only do so much, if they want in they will get in. All the above suggestions help, but make the neighbors garage more appealing, that is the best thing.
post #7 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

View splinter2's Photo Album My Photos
Garage Break In's

Reinforce the strike plates, Wood how do you do this? Plus iam heading over to Radio Shack also to check out a buzzer or siren Great Idea? Thanks for all your Help Guys....
post #8 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Old School

One night a burglar breaks into a house. As he makes his way
through the room he hears; "Jesus is watching you." He stops,
then continues going through the room, stealing what he can. Once
again he hears "Jesus is watching you." Finally he turns the light on,
and sees a parrot in a cage.

"Did you say that?" he asks the parrot.
"Yeah," responds the parrot. "What's your name?" asks the burglar.
"Fred," says the parrot. "Why did you say that Jesus is watching
me?" the burglar asks. "Because he is, and I don't think he's very
happy with you," the parrot responded. "I'm not too worried,"
replied the burglar.

"By the way, what idiot would name a parrot
Fred?". The parrot answered; "the same idiot that would name the
German Shepherd Jesus!"

post #9 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
where's my table saw?

Strike plates

Home Depot has extra long, extra strong strike plates in the lock section. Use 3" screws to secure back to the studs. Might also be under "security hardware". A "phony" alarm label may help deter. How about a sign like this?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-19-2010 at 08:16 AM.
post #10 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 09:10 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Good suggestions. If you can't afford an alarm system, a sticker from an alarm company on the door and window is also a good alternative. Most punk burglars don't know what to look for to find an actual alarm system. The motion sensor lights are a good bet, but a siren on them might get old for you and the neighbors every time a rabbit runs by. My end up crying wolf before it's all said and done. Don't let the burglars see inside and keep your doors locked. Most of the garage burglaries in our area are unsecured doors. Are you sure they are breaking in? If they are just punks they are criminal opportunists more than pro-cat burglars. Don't give them the opportunity. Kinda like terrorists hitting soft targets.
post #11 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM

View jimmykx250's Photo Album My Photos
I would also recomend putting 2 clamps on the garage door track to prevent the door from bieng able to open. The automatic openers are not that difficult to "hack." I also agree with the door and window suggestions above.
post #12 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
MD Custom Furniture

View Gorp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Get yourself an effective system, called EWS (Early Warning System). It detects and destroys for the same price:

They also leave large landminds in the yard for the owner to pick up or step in.

I keep my trusty Colt M4LE loaded and ready to go.
post #13 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorp View Post
They also leave large landminds in the yard for the owner to pick up or step in.

Yeah, and they could also give great shoe impressions of the burglar, unless it's a step-in-and-slide.

post #14 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Old School

post #15 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
MD Custom Furniture

View Gorp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thats Funny.
post #16 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
post #17 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
where's my table saw?

Good one C-man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Good suggestions. If you can't afford an alarm system, a sticker from an alarm company on the door and window is also a good alternative. Most punk burglars don't know what to look for to find an actual alarm system. The motion sensor lights are a good bet, but a siren on them might get old for you and the neighbors every time a rabbit runs by. My end up crying wolf before it's all said and done. Don't let the burglars see inside and keep your doors locked.Most of the garage burglaries in our area are unsecured doors. Are you sure they are breaking in? If they are just punks they are criminal opportunists more than pro-cat burglars. Don't give them the opportunity. Kinda like terrorists hitting soft targets.
One or two motions for lights and then why not put one Motion Detector INSIDE the garage and have it send an alarm or signal to the house, and wake up the owner? What happens after that let God and the cops sort out.....
Follow all the rules of gun safety and all applicable laws.

post #18 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry, I know this is long and happened a long time ago but it still itches.

While we've had dogs we never got burgled and neither did the houses on either side of us. Wolf and Arkus our house beasts, (German Shepard and Dobe) they didn't like anybody but took a shine to children and pretty much incorporated our neighbors kids along with ours into his fold, no one came into our yards without a response if they didn't know their smell.

If either barked at night, you could pretty much guaranty it was skunk, fox, opossum, coyote or someone where they weren't supposed to be. It rarely happened but bath robed and pissed I'd get up leash them and head outside.

Arkus passed away in 89 and Wolf the summer of 1990. Less than 6 mos after Wolf, passed away we got hit 3 times in 1 month. Then our insurance was cancelled, the police were apathetic, not once did they take finger prints, (whoever) had been in every room in the house and gone through everything.

I was positive whoever broke into our house lived nearby and knew my wife's habits, the break ins occurred when she went grocery shopping. I called the local high school and Voc/tech and asked the principals to send the attendance records to the local police station.
Less than a week later I get a call from a local police detective asking me if I had any idea why Mr. Knipple, (neighbor) would be asking the 2 schools to send attendance records to the department. I was stunned and kept silent as the rage began to grow for I don't know how long.

I then calmly asked the detective, "Are you stupid or do you think I'm stupid?" Apparently she was insulted or at least feigned so that I would put up such a question. Her response was, "Do you know who you're talking to?"

Before she could get anything more out I cut her off and I began my rant. "I believe so, I'm talking to an inefficient defective who may have been given the position rather than earn it. You and your departments skills leave much wanting. I'm taking to an apathetic department that has made no effort to solve the problems in our area. If you knew how to do your job the principals of the 2 schools I called would have confirmed the department had already requested the records for the specific days.

I then hung up, she never called back. However, I did have a couple friends on the force that told me to be an absolutely perfect citizen for then next year or so, I had ruffled some feathers at the department. I later found out that the female officer just may have been given the position, there were many angry males on the force that had the scores and seniority for detective but were bypassed for the Miss.

Maybe 3 weeks after the break in Our neighbor, (local social worker) came over and told us that the son of a woman she worked with said that 2 brothers who lived at the head of our road, (both in HS) had been bragging about a recent series of B&Es on our road. After relating this info to my police officer friend, nothing ever happened.

A few yrs later I also heard that one of the kids to hit my house was the son of one of the cops in town.
post #19 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
INSIDE the garage

Ah yes....
post #20 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 11:53 AM

View chili cook's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I must concure ! So what if you have to pick up some land mines in the morning ? Better that loosing your stuff !!!

Chili

I nailed my wood-shop test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode