gaming table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 03-09-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

View Spartacus502's Photo Album My Photos
gaming table top

Hello!

My name is Jesse, and I live in Louisville, KY.

I picked up an old library table with the veneer top all shot to hell and rather than reapply a new veneer, I am toying with the idea of putting some 3" boards around the edges and making a new top. maybe some felt underneath. We like to play monopoly, but always have to put it away unfinished or make up silly rules to end it faster. this would give me the ability to just leave it under the table top. Not a new concept I know, but I am having some issue finding the best way to make the top so it doesn't warp. The area is about 30x60 that i want to cover. I can cut plywood and clean the edges up by hand, but joinery is out of my knowledge base and hobbyist budget right now.

I want to use it as my kitchen table when done, so it has to look good for the missus. Any suggestions or directions are appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_200714360.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	347513  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What would you think about covering the top of the table with formica. Most box stores would order it for you and is available in a multitude of colors. You could just cut the laminate a little big, cover the top and use a decorative router bit to make an edge on the wood and trim the laminate at the same time. Then all you would have to do is put a finish on the edge of the top. Real wood veneer is also available with a formica back. This would be just as easy to apply as regular formica, you would just have more surface to finish.

The top is probably just attached to the table with screws. You could remove it and either make a new top or refurbish the existing top. Then attach the top to the table with hinges so you could lift the top and put your gaming in a compartment under the top.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-10-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

View Spartacus502's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the input, I think that's a great idea. But the are drawers under the current top, which led me to think of a second top. Right now I'm leaning towards three PC's of birch cabinet plywood 20x30 with dowels to line them up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode