Freud table saw blade arrives . . . broken - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

View Specialkayme's Photo Album My Photos
Freud table saw blade arrives . . . broken

I ordered two Freud table saw blades off amazon. One 24 tooth thin kerf rip blade: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225UH/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01and one 60 tooth thin kerf cross cut blade: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225UI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
I opened the 24 tooth package today, and went to take the plastic wrap off and one of the teeth fell off, without any force on my part. Didn't even get it in my table saw.

So now I have to call the 1-800 number on freud's box to talk to them about shipping it back to them (at my cost) for them to fix, or go through a refund process on amazon (probably involving me shipping it back to amazon). Arg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
I ordered two Freud table saw blades off amazon. One 24 tooth thin kerf rip blade: Amazon.com: Freud LU87R010 10-Inch 24-Tooth FTG Thin Kerf Ripping Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating: Home Improvement
and one 60 tooth thin kerf cross cut blade: Amazon.com: Freud LU88R010 10-Inch 60 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf Crosscutting Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating: Home Improvement

I opened the 24 tooth package today, and went to take the plastic wrap off and one of the teeth fell off, without any force on my part. Didn't even get it in my table saw.

So now I have to call the 1-800 number on freud's box to talk to them about shipping it back to them (at my cost) for them to fix, or go through a refund process on amazon (probably involving me shipping it back to amazon). Arg!
Amazon customer service is about as good as it gets. They usually email a shipping label and ship a replacement. They have always picked up the shipping if it arrives damaged.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 16 Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Ya...go the amazon route....they'll take care of everything really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Ditto on Amazon. They have customer service figured out...better than most.

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/
post #5 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Sawdust Maker

View Midwest Millworks's Photo Album My Photos
That really sucks. It's not Amazon's fault. I would give them a chance to make it right. Sounds like that blade should have never gotten passes Freud's quality check, but not everybody can catch everything. I have never used Freud blades, but I know a lot of guys really like them.

Mike Darr
post #6 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Damn...

Be glad you didn't have it mounted in the saw!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #7 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Amazon has always done me right....let them deal with the shipping co and/or Freud.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
If 24 teeth is good for ripping I bet 23 is even better!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACP For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (01-04-2013), thegrgyle (01-04-2013)
post #9 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Like everyone else said amazon customer service is very good.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
John

Actually, I just noticed your location.... your only about 20 miles from the Freud USA company facilities. Personally, I'd drive over and see if I could get a tour.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (01-04-2013)
post #11 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

View Specialkayme's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Actually, I just noticed your location.... your only about 20 miles from the Freud USA company facilities.
Hahahaha. I had no idea they were located in High Point, NC!

But, I decided to go the Amazon return route. A new blade is on the way, and the old one will be in the mail tomorrow. No blame placed against Amazon here, they did nothing wrong. I was more frustrated in the inconvenience than the blame. But Amazon made it very convenient, so I really can't complain there.

Although, I wished freud would have checked it before it left the store. If I turned the blade on, the tooth may have ended up being shot at my face, or worse my eye. I usually wear eye protection, but not always when I'm setting things up. Good lesson here.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 AM
John

I dunno about the shipping outfits anymore either... some of those guys can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet

John

post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben
I dunno about the shipping outfits anymore either... some of those guys can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet
Shucks, I got a brother who can break an anvil with a feather. Boy is mechanically sterile. The poor guy can't build a doghouse from a precut kit with out making a mess out of it.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Amazon and Freud are both brands that I have had a lot of satisfaction with. I just ordered a bunch of band saw blades through Amazon. I've broken a couple of BS blades recently but I think I figures out why, my lower thrust bearing was froze up. I found a new bearing locally.

I usually just swing by Home Depot to pick up a new Freud table saw blade when I need one. Is there a reason to order them through Amazon?

The band saw blades I need are not available here locally to my knowledge.

Bret
post #15 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM

View Mandres's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
If 24 teeth is good for ripping I bet 23 is even better!
haha, well played!
post #16 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
I ordered two Freud table saw blades off amazon. One 24 tooth thin kerf rip blade: Amazon.com: Freud LU87R010 10-Inch 24-Tooth FTG Thin Kerf Ripping Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating: Home Improvement
and one 60 tooth thin kerf cross cut blade: Amazon.com: Freud LU88R010 10-Inch 60 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf Crosscutting Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating: Home Improvement

You are lucky!!! I installed a brand new Forrest blade for the first time, unfortunately a few years after I purchased it. A few seconds after turning on the saw and the blade came up to speed, a tooth wirred past my ear at over 100mph and went through the wall behind me.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode