French style wine cupboard - Worth restoring? (w photos) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

View Lindt's Photo Album My Photos
Question French style wine cupboard - Worth restoring? (w photos)

Hello Everyone,

I would like to hear if you think this wine cupboard/armoire is worth $450 as it is. I really like it, but I do not know anything about wood or furniture.
Dimensions are 83x43x16
I do not have a full photo of it since it was placed on its side in a very tight space.

Thank you for your opinion and help!

French style wine cupboard - Worth restoring? (w photos)-017.jpg

French style wine cupboard - Worth restoring? (w photos)-015.jpg

French style wine cupboard - Worth restoring? (w photos)-018.jpg

French style wine cupboard - Worth restoring? (w photos)-012.jpg

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  61.3 KB

Please let me know if I'm posting in a wrong section of this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Prices vary from place to place around the country. It would be worth 450 in the dallas area but just barely. The piece is intended to be rustic so it may not take much restoration. Does the finish on it feel like wax? It's too hard to tell from the picture but these pieces are commonly finished with Bri-wax. If that is the case then you could just rub it down with steel wool and fresh Bri-wax.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would like to hear if you think this wine cupboard/armoire is worth $450 as it is. I really like it, but I do not know anything about wood or furniture.
The only real question to answer is if you think it is worth $450. It does not matter if anyone here thinks it is worth it or not. If you like it, you are the only one to decide if you want to spend the money to get it.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM

View MasterSplinter's Photo Album My Photos
I looks like pine to me. Worth it is up to you.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
dlb

View dlb's Photo Album My Photos
How old is it?
Do you know its history?
Why does it need restoration?

This one, new, sells for $1500+
post #6 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

View Lindt's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
How old is it?
Do you know its history?
Why does it need restoration?
Unfortunately, I do not know its history and I have no idea how old it is - the seller does not know either.
I like how it looks and I like that it is made of wood - that is all, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not wasting my money on it.
Maybe, restoration is a big world, but I was thinking of possibly applying some lacquer.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM

View harry nuckle's Photo Album My Photos
Being a soft wood it will be susceptible to dings and dents, but it is wood not particle board so... I think if it feels sturdy and well built and you like it for 450 get it. You can spend that kind of money pretty quickly at any furniture store for something that probably wont ladt as long as a well built wood piece. Not so sure about the lacquer though.. clean it up and a good coat of wax and she'll be good
post #8 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Maybe, restoration is a big world, but I was thinking of possibly applying some lacquer.
I think applying any finish on top of the present condition is not a good idea. It may not adhere, it may not apply even. Likely the end result is not an improvement to the appearance or the piece.

Restoration is not easy. The nooks and crannies in this pieces are even more challenging.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM

View hays0369's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
I think applying any finish on top of the present condition is not a good idea. It may not adhere, it may not apply even. Likely the end result is not an improvement to the appearance or the piece.

Restoration is not easy. The nooks and crannies in this pieces are even more challenging.
+1 on Dave's comments. If it were me and only me, I would go over it and tighten any loose joints, make sure everything lined up and worked as it should and leave it alone. I would let it show its history and age proudly.

Hays

Novice with an attitude
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not know its history and I have no idea how old it is - the seller does not know either.
I like how it looks and I like that it is made of wood - that is all, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not wasting my money on it.
it look's like it is in great shape, i would live it like it is , now if you are thing of doing laquer you are getting in to a job , first strip it down and get all of the finish? than stain, if you don't get all the old finish off it will look bad, i have finish lot's of old item's and it is best to leve some alone, look's like maybe a good old wax job and let it be, it has a good look now and i bet when you are done or get started you will not like what you have got your self into, if you haven't refinished furnature than i wouldn't takle it , now you can't just spray lacquer over what is their, do you have a spray gun, if not i will tell you don't use what i call rattle can's from the box store, you wll not get a good job out of them , with that big of a unit. i been doing this kind of stuff for around 50 or so yrs , i have had 5 complete wood shop's and built lot's of item's and have strayed lot's of lacquer , and stained lot's of item's, you can get blotching real bad if you don't know what to do, good luck the unit look's like a good investment and with some wine and a glass full , take a look at it and say dam what a nice uniti have
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM

View khowald's Photo Album My Photos
It definitely looks to be pine; with that said you don't want to try to refinish it. The blotching would be very disappointing if you are not a refinisher. Clean it up with mineral spirits and put a nice coat of bri wax on it. I think you will be much happier with the finished product. As far as the price goes; I would pay it, but then again, I live in the wine country of Oregon. ken
post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The piece looks like a reproduction perhaps 20 years old or less.

As far as putting lacquer on it you would need to first determine if it is compatible with lacquer. If it has a oil based coating on it lacquer will wrinkle it up like you put paint stripper on it. I would test lacquer thinner on it in an inconspicuous place and see if it lifts first. It's likely that it has waxes or polishes on it so it would need to be cleaned with a wax and grease remover and then scuff sanded before coating with lacquer.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I go along with others in that if you like it that's all that counts. I wouldn't put wax on it. I would just leave the finish alone. If you start to increase the gloss, all the knots and imperfections will be that more obvious. Determining what finish is on the cabinet isn't all that easy for someone with little experience. Lacquer thinner will dissolve most any film finishes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode