French Cleats - Optimal vertical distance? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
French Cleats - Optimal vertical distance?

I'm thinking about installing french cleats in my garage, using a multi-tiered setup. I figure I can use multiple cleats to share the weight of a heavier shelf/cabinet. When installing multiple cleats, is there a standard vertical distance, e.g. 12 inches, or is it up to the individual? In the few articles/videos I've seen, there's not been a mention of standards.
AwesomeOpossum74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 235
View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure what youre measuring, but the cleat should be about 2/3 rds or more of the vertical measurement towards the top of the box. Any lower and you start to get torque pulling away from the wall.
sunnybob is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
Not sure what youre measuring, but the cleat should be about 2/3 rds or more of the vertical measurement towards the top of the box. Any lower and you start to get torque pulling away from the wall.
Are you saying it's not a good idea to spread the weight of an object across a top and bottom cleat?
AwesomeOpossum74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Moderator
 
Steve Neul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,771
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum74 View Post
I'm thinking about installing french cleats in my garage, using a multi-tiered setup. I figure I can use multiple cleats to share the weight of a heavier shelf/cabinet. When installing multiple cleats, is there a standard vertical distance, e.g. 12 inches, or is it up to the individual? In the few articles/videos I've seen, there's not been a mention of standards.
If you use strong material for the cleat only one is necessary. Two of them have to be installed very very accurate or one or the other cleat would be holding the weight. Then if the bottom one was a little high there would be a greater chance of the cabinet pulling forward off the wall. With one cleat the weight would pull the cabinet tighter to the wall the more weight was applied. You would be better off just putting a nailer strip on the bottom and screw the cabinet to the framing.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you use strong material for the cleat only one is necessary. Two of them have to be installed very very accurate or one or the other cleat would be holding the weight. Then if the bottom one was a little high there would be a greater chance of the cabinet pulling forward off the wall. With one cleat the weight would pull the cabinet tighter to the wall the more weight was applied. You would be better off just putting a nailer strip on the bottom and screw the cabinet to the framing.
Ah, I see what you mean, and good point on the accuracy issue. Thank you.
AwesomeOpossum74 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM
1948
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 470
View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I only use one clete. I add a second piece to the bottom so that the cabinet hangs straight, but that is just a spacer and not a clete.
Packard is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,557
View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Has anybody here made lumber racks based on French cleats?
Tool Agnostic is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome