Floor from rough boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

View mrrtt's Photo Album My Photos
Floor from rough boards

Hi all, stumbled across this place looking for info and figured it would be best to ask for some advice. Disclaimer: novice woodworker.

Me and my business partner are building some offices in a warehouse and the plan for the floor was going to be whatever laminate we found that was cheap. However, the property manager said he had some wood and we could use whatever we wanted. Took a look and they have thousands of rough cut (red oak I think) boards, about 1x4, that we are free to use. So naturally, we want to use them.

The question is, what is the best (and somewhat economical) course of action? The boards vary in thickness a little, so I'm thinking planing at minimum. My partner thinks it would be possible to just instal the boards, then use a floor sander to get them even, I have my doubts with that.

Hopefully the photo I have of some of the boards will post.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
Thickness planing would save time and money generally.
What substrate are you installing it on?
Will it be the finished floor?
It will also need to be width sized for floor planks.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I <3 the smell of sawdust

View JohnnyTooBad's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming these are just blank 1x4 boards, you'd also want tongue and groove them which would require running all 4 edges through a shaper our router table. Definitely thickness plane them first. You could try to find a local mill to do this for you, depending on how much you need or if you don't have (or want to buy) the tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM

View wooddude's Photo Album My Photos
typically strip flooring is planned to exact thickness,then a tounge is machined on one long edge and one short edge or the end grain,then a groove is machined one long edge and one short edge,this keeps all the seems from lifting up from each other.it is then nailed to a wooden substrate thru the tounge.sanding is the final process for preping the floor for staining or what ever finish is being used.again what is the floor substrate concrete, wood ect?
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

View mrrtt's Photo Album My Photos
The boards will be going down on 3/4" OSB
We plan on using the money we would've spent on the floor (and maybe a little more) to buy any tools we don't have that are needed to complete the project.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You may or may not save money on the flooring. It is going to cost considerable to plane and prepare the boards before they are laid. You then have to do a durable finish. This cost will be actual out of pocket expenses and labor.

Be sure to price out "whatever laminate we found that was cheap" before making a final decision.

George
post #7 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Find a woodworker who might trade it for some laminate flooring - ....

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Does not look like red oak to me.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
mahogany or cherry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Does not look like red oak to me.
You can joint one face and square the ends and joint one edge and rip to equal widths. You can biscuit join, loose tenon, the ends or tongue and groove them. You can also plane to a common thicknes, but you may as well floor sand them all at once and get a "super even" result. Your skills with a floor sander may determine what process you use.
If you have to purchase tools go used or Grizzly. A 3HP table saw a 15", 3 HP planer and a minimum of 6" jointer. JMO
We don't know your sq footage is a ? and the amount of free wood is also an unknown.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM

View Mandres's Photo Album My Photos
personally I'd try to sell the oak boards and use the proceeds to buy pre-finished hardwood flooring. It's a hassle to make it yourself if you don't have a power-fed shaper.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
I am not sure where you location is but if you are near South Carolina I would be able to help you get rid of these boards and save you from having to invest in expensive woodworking tools... just putting that out there
post #12 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Yeah Bill, it looks south american to me, possibly cherry.

Almost looks like a pallet of flooring blank off cuts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode