Floating Desk - Phase 2. Bracket questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

View North_End's Photo Album My Photos
Floating Desk - Phase 2. Bracket questions

Hey folks,

So I'm on to phase 2 of my floating desk plan, and I'm now trying to determine just how possible (see: impossible) it would be to construct this desk without a support leg on the left side. Here is a recap of the desk build:

Dimensions:
- 8' long
- 2' deep
- 2.5" thick
- 113 lbs (approx.)
- Skins - 3/4" beech ply
- Grid - 1" tall strips of 3/4" ply

The finer points:
- The desk will be situated in a corner with the back and right side both supported by a French cleat
- The front, right side of the desk will have storage built-in beneath it. This storage will be 1.5' wide (think of a filing cabinet supporting a desk top)
- The desk top will be a torsion box
- Nothing heavy like a computer will be sitting on the desk

I would like to support the left (floating) side of the desk with just a forged L-bracket and not a leg. The bracket would be anchored to a stud in the wall, and be somewhere around 20" in length. Don't know what material yet, but I'm sure the smith can advise.

I could also get 2 brackets and place one closer to the center for added rigidity, but I think that might be overkill.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this, specifically the idea of using an L-bracket for the left side?

Last edited by North_End; 06-04-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
North End
You could make a large, decorative, heavy duty corbel to support the weight instead of using an L bracket.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 04:41 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
An 8 ft long desk should have support in the center, at least on the wall.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

It should be easy enough to put a second support bracket in the center of the desk, or close to it depending on the studs.

I've considered a corbel, but I'm more keen on going with the L-brackets to be honest. Minimal obstruction under the desk is what I'm after, so worst-case scenario I might have to make something like this:
http://www.tylermorriswoodworking.co...ls/concave-14/
post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
I dont understand the worry behind having a leg on the left side up against the wall. How is that going to be in the way any more than a 1 1/2ft wide filing cabinet to the right?

I agree with George, it should have a support on the middle of the outside (face) being that long.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I think you're imagining it the wrong way around, Chamfer. I should've been more clear when I wrote the details! I'll clarify:

The back and right side (with the filing cabinet) of the desk are up against the wall. The front and left side are free-hanging/have no wall next to them. It's basically the same as if you were to push a desk into the back right corner of a room.

I will definitely put in a bracket (or two) to support the middle of the desk :)
Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by North_End; 06-04-2015 at 08:09 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 PM

You said,

"I would like to support the left (floating) side of the desk with just a forged L-bracket and not a leg. The bracket would be anchored to a stud in the wall, and be somewhere around 20" in length."

How are you attaching a bracket to a stud if the left front corner is freestanding?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-04-2015, 09:07 PM

Maybe a sketch or something would clear the confusion.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Here you go. Hopefully this clarifies it.

View from above:
http://postimg.org/image/lkirqchrx/

View from the left side:
http://postimg.org/image/xxvucsmon/
post #10 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
You said,

"I would like to support the left (floating) side of the desk with just a forged L-bracket and not a leg. The bracket would be anchored to a stud in the wall, and be somewhere around 20" in length."

How are you attaching a bracket to a stud if the left front corner is freestanding?
He is attaching the bracket to the left REAR of the table.

I am with the people who prefer a corbel for the looks. It needs to be fairly substantial.

Use the heave duty metal bracket in the center of the table where it will not be seen.

George
post #11 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks George - that's exactly right. The idea is to have the bracket run beneath the left side of the desk and then down the back wall, screwed into a wall stud.

I'm keen on the L-brackets because they will look very clean and fit in with the design of the desk.
That being said, if I can't have these brackets forged for a reasonable price, corbels may be the way to go.

A corbel that would be big enough to support around 20 to 24 inches would be damn big. Is there any way you could show me the kind of corbel you would use for this kind of project? A link to a picture online maybe?

Much appreciated

Last edited by North_End; 06-05-2015 at 06:20 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the sketch to clarify.

That would be a bigger L-bracket than I would ever use for anything as I would worry about it failing.

Really any design for support on that floating corner is going to need some kind of additional bracing. A corbel would be nice looking but it'd be huge and also interfere will space underneath.

I can not imagine that open corner will never get at least leaned on if not sat on by somebody. It really needs to be supported properly.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

You just might be right, Chamfer :(

It's likely that at least a corbel or triangle bracket would be necessary to support the edge, in which case I might as well use aluminum piping and some swivel flange fittings.
IE: http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/bl...ted-with-pipe/

Adding a leg really is my last resort, but if it must be done, well... c'est la vie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode