Flexible Transition Molding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

View soltc's Photo Album My Photos
Flexible Transition Molding

We recently purchased a new house in Plainview, NY. The house has a large den which was carpeted. Since we prefer a wood floor, we shopped around and finally decided on a wood laminate (Gunstock Oak) which we found at Lowes. So we contracted with Lowes for their installer to lay the new floor.
The problem can be seen about. The den floor abuts ceramic tile at the entryway. The curve is about five feet long at a gentle 90 degree curve.
The 1st Lowes contractor refused the job stating that the transition could not be made.
The 2nd contractor (Gemini) said it would be no problem.
Gemini laid the floor which came out beautifully. However, the installers did not have the right flexible transition molding for the curve.
We called Gemini who said the molding was backordered.
About a week later another Gemini installer came and installed an 1 ½ “ Wide x ½” High flexible molding. He was a “fast talker” and bragged about the professional hot glue (put down with a glue gun) that he was using to install the molding. No clumping or taping!
Within a day we noticed that the molding showed signs of coming up. After a week it came off.
We contacted Lowes and Master Card, and are awaiting an answer.
Meanwhile, I searched the Internet form information about flexible transition molding. The best site I found was Flexitions (WWW.flexitions.com). There website shows many transitions just like ours. There instruction sheet indicates that the molding should be installed with “premium urethane construction adhesive” and advise taping with blue painter’s tape until the glue sets.
My Question – Does anyone here have experience with flexible transition molding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
So are you looking to reinstall what came up? Can you take a picture of the area? I've never used the products you are talking about, but have made my own.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
A good product that solves a problem. You would think installers would be familiar with proper methods recommended for the product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman
A good product that solves a problem. You would think installers would be familiar with proper methods recommended for the product. .
Until I sold it in 2000 I owned a flooring company that employed 30 hourly employees and 20 to 40 subcontractors daily. I assure you I would not presume that they would know how to install any new product. I also can't speak for every area but in my area the installers that work for the big box stores typically can't find work elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode