flattening plywood in the cold? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

View sonofbuster's Photo Album My Photos
Question flattening plywood in the cold?

i ordered a sheet of 3/4" plywood to build a toy storage unit for my kid's toys. when i ordered it back in November or so, it was part of an order for work and the plywood has been in the garage there since then. i noticed the other day that the sheet is slightly bowed and thought i could just keep it there to use for other rough basement projects and pick up a new sheet. i'm wondering, though, how hard it is to flatten it outside in the cold. i'd bring it down in the basement, but we're picking up work and space is limited and will be worse as we move along. has anyone tried this in a New England winter? i guess i could wait til it warms up but then i assume the cup will be worse then. any advice? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Plywood reacts much the same as solid wood. If the moisture content of one side is greater than the other it will warp. The best thing you can do is put the plywood someplace level where it can get air to both sides and let it set for a few days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode