Flattening long boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

View ATL Jack's Photo Album My Photos
Flattening long boards

I have never attempted to flatten anything longer than 3 or 4 feet on my 6" jointer but am now going to make a dining table and need to flatten 8' long boards. Can anyone offer some advice or tips on how to safely and correctly faltten long boards? Should I look into making a planer sled instead of using the jointer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
If you do it on the jointer, you need good out feed support. I've done it, it's not that hard.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The jointer is best

I use roller stands adjusted to the exact height of the out feed table. You need a long straight edge to get them the right height. A straight board, sighted as best you can for straightness or a piece of aluminum extrusion like from a storm door.

Jointers are just like powered hand planes and material can be removed in a similar manner. Sight the board, then remove the material where it's high and repeat the process until all the cup is gone, and it looks flat. Then run the entire length over the cutter head and look for evenness of color where all the material is removed in a single pass.
Good technique requires considerable practice, but once you get it right, you'll always use it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM

View TylerJones's Photo Album My Photos
You can do it on your joiner, get good putters support set up and take multiple light passes.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
For long stock, build extension tables for the jointer, stands don't really work, you need a continuous flat surface. Irregularities can be between a stand and the jointer bed and those will goof everything up. For stock wider than your jointer, remove the guard and do a rabbet cut, then make a flush cutting router plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flushing up.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	60670  

Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammer1 For This Useful Post:
jimmomech8 (01-22-2013), woodnthings (01-22-2013)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
Hammer, how is your extension table attached, supported at your jointer? Could you show us a pic? thanks.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

View ATL Jack's Photo Album My Photos
Unfortunately I dont really have the space for extension tables on the jointer. But I like your flush cutting router plate, I havent seen that before. I've dealt with that problem in the past by running it through the planer with the jointed face down on top of a flat board with the excess hanging off the side of the board. It works great for small pieces but I was trying to figure out how to do it on long boards.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
All I can say is Wow. I have stuggled for years trying to get my jointer to work on longer boards, and I can honestly say I've never thought of extension tables or that router sled. And yet another reason to love this forum. I have used roller stands, but always with not much luck. I am for sure going to do this so thanks.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
roller stands minus the rollers...?

I needed a level feed table for planing.... or was it jointing, I can't remember, but this was what I came up with:

Remove the rollers and replace them with a 2" x 12" plank on either side of the table.. . To remove the rollers from the stands just push in on the pin, it's spring loaded, and the roller will pop out. Bevel the edge of the plank to avoid the work hanging up on it. The height is easily adjustable on these stands.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I like your extension tables. The router sled thing I've seen before, don't remember where. Looks great!!!

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM

View ol104's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W Gillespie View Post
Hammer, how is your extension table attached, supported at your jointer? Could you show us a pic? thanks.

Agreed - these extension tables are terrific and look to be a lot better than roller stands. Seeing more pictures of the extensions and particularly how they are attached to the jointer bed would be ideal.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
I can't find my picture but on the ends of my jointer, I bolted on a block which meant drilling a couple of holes in the ends of the jointer tables, GASP!!. The extension tables just attach by dropping over the block and a couple screws through the frame of the extension table into the blocks. This won't work on older jointers where the fence is attached on the infeed end of the table. You would have to use some metal side straps in that case or a solid stand like Woodenthings showed. The extension tables have to be flat, straight and slick. You can see I have a leg height adjustment in one of the pics. If I change the height of the tables or move the jointer to an uneven floor area, I can adjust the extensions so they are perfectly in line with their corresponding tables. Being perfectly in line with the jointer tables is important or they won't work. I use a long straight edge to confirm alignment. The extensions can be made in any size you want and easily removed if they are in the way. I have more than one set and have one for the outfeed table that aligns with the rabbet ledge, not shown.

The flush cutting router plate has to be held flat to the jointed area of the board, so it doesn't tip. This jig can be used in many applications where you need to bring something flush with an adjoining piece. Even when I had a 16" jointer, there were always boards I needed to flatten that were wider than the jointer. When you flatten a board before planing, the entire surface doesn't need to be completely surfaced. You can see a rough spot to the right in a picture but it's small and in the center and would have no effect when running through the planer. It will be taken care of when I flip the board and plane that face. Handling 2"x10"x12' pieces of hard maple on a 6" jointer would be very difficult but the extension tables and the router jig make it simple and easy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammer1 For This Useful Post:
Dominick (01-22-2013), Paul W Gillespie (01-23-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode