First timer: what tools do I need for this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

View silas's Photo Album My Photos
First timer: what tools do I need for this?

This is my first foray into woodworking, so please forgive me if I come across clueless.

I have two items I want to make but I possess no tools and no prior knowledge of woodworking.

One is a solid maple cube, just over 4 inches by 4 inches, about 2 inches in height. Apart from being a block of wood, it needs to have a recessed area on top that measures the same as the crystal cube that would sit on top. Also on top I need a hole to place the led light part that would illuminate the cube, plus a channel for feeding the ac cable out the side.

The other item is a strip of solid maple about 3 inches wide, 1 inch high and 5 inches long. Itís a very basic stand for an ipad, essentially a grooved channel into the wood to hold the ipad up without it tipping back. See similar design below

What Iím asking for is advice on a multi-purpose tool that I should buy that could do this type of woodwork? I donít have a huge budget and if it goes bad I probably wonít make a pastime out of it, so I donít want to invest in tons of equipment.

Any suggestions on something that would get me through these two projects? Something like the Fein Multimaster, overkill or simply not enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM

View Butch's Photo Album My Photos
from what I see, you could get by with a drill and bit for the LED.... a set of chisels for the trough... a decent backsaw to make the cuts. oh yeah, and a vise to hold the wood for working. now mind you, these are the very basics, and I have assumed that your wood is already pre-sized and pre-planed. if not, you'll need a lot more tools to get it there. you've entered the slippery slope of woodworking...

An honest days work for an honest days pay....
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You do need some way to hold the wood. Whether or not this is a vise is hard to say. Much will depend upon the size of wood that you start with.

I think you can do the job with a very minimum of tools. I would get an inexpensive ($25 to $30) Japanese style of saw. With that saw you cut on the pull instead of on the push. It is easier to guide and make an accurate cut.

To get the exact dimensions that you want I am sure that you will have to split at least one piece of wood. After splitting (unless you are very good with the saw) you will need some way to get the surface of the wood level again. You can do this with sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood. Alternatively you could purchase a hand planner.

You will also need a wood chisel to cut out the bottom of the slot for the ipod.

Every home should have a powered drill. I suggest that you get a minimal power drill and small bit set. Home Depot(HD) sells a 12 volt Ryobi drill for $24.95. That will work for you. With this drill you can make the hole for the bulb and also for the wire.

You may want to carefully consider the dimensions of your final product and the wood that you purchase so that you have a minimum of cuts to make.

Good luck.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on how you get your stock, the tools/machinery could vary widely. Considering your experience and equipment at hand, if this is a one time deal and you won't continue with any woodworking projects, you might just get a shop to do it for you.

But the advice given so far should be helpful.

Even the 25 Inf Div one...

post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 AM

View Butch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post

Even the 25 Inf Div one...

That's my Bro !!!

An honest days work for an honest days pay....
post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
If you know anyone with tools and woodworking experience I would say have them help you make it. This would help you get the feel for if your going to want to continue with woodworking. Some people think they want to but after starting realize its not for them, others try one simple project and love it. The tools are not cheep and the cost of getting tools specifically for this project only really don't make sense.

So if you don't have someone to help you as I mentioned,I'm with cabinetman about having a shop make it.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM

View upnorf's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to upnorf
If you don't know anyone with tools, you could always ask your local library if anyone/school/business offers access to help or classes. Another shot would be posting on craigslist asking for an hour or two worth of help form a local woodworking, who knows you might even develop a long term friendship.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

View silas's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You do need some way to hold the wood. Whether or not this is a vise is hard to say. Much will depend upon the size of wood that you start with.
Huge thanks for all the extremely helpful responses. I decided to order one of the rockwell multi tools ($119) and managed to borrow the other tools Iíll probably need.

I'm concerned about what to hold the wood with. i don't want to spend much on a workbench and I don't have an existing table suitable to clamp a vice on.

Is there such a thing as a good, cheap work bench? Cheap for me = $50

post #9 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw & lunch box planer. Glue & clamps

Most people make a shoe shine box for their first project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode