First time with hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2009, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
First time with hinges

I have some 35mm 1/2" overlay hinges that I installed in a raised panel door today, but it seems like something is wrong. If you look at the picture, the left side sticks out from the face of the cabinet. I have tried to adjust the door with the adjustment screws, but none of them adjust the door to be closer to the face frame. I don't know if there is something that I am doing wrong, but any help is appreciated.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of cabinet.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	9115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top view of door.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	9117  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Is it possible that the door could be bowed?

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Some of those face frame hinges can be a PITA. Frameless hinges are much more adaptable. They shouldn't protrude the door as much as you are experiencing. It looks like you installed them correctly. If you have tried loosening the "in-out" adjustment screw and it still won't go back, try this.

The adjustment slot (it could be in the hinge arm or on the plate depending on the brand) might be able to be extended. That would required it to be filed out. You could use a rat tail file.

Or, grind or file off the little tabs that catch on the front of the face frame. Doing that will allow the mounting plate to be installed further back on the face frame. Those tabs are there to fix the plate providing points of contact. You should still be able to get a firm mount. If you need to re-mount the plate further back, the old mounting holes will have to be plugged to get a screw to hold because the new hole will likely be within 1/8" or so from the old hole. Drill out the hole the size of a dowel (1/4" should do it) (that's a standard size). Glue in the dowel, flatten it to the FF, and drill a new pilot hole.

Another alternative is to use a different type of face frame hinge that allows more front to back adjustment. Grass hinges used to have them. They may still.

Or, the last resort would be to add a spacing strip of wood on the backside of the face frame, and install frameless type hinges with the overlay you need. HTH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Cabinetman, thanks for the sugegstions. I think I will start by cutting off the tabs that contact the faceframe, and set the hinge back a little. If that doesn't work are there different ones that I could pick up at home depot? These hinges are made by liberty if that makes a difference.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 PM

View Kjuly's Photo Album My Photos
From the pictures it looks like the hinges are install correctly. The gap between the door and face frame allows the door to swing without the back corner of the door hitting the face frame. You can adjust the hinge so that the door will be closer to the frame as suggested above but only to the point where the back corner of the door just clears the face frame when opening.
If that is still not close enough (still too much gap) then you can round over the inside back corner of the door (hinge side) which will give more clearance when the door swings and allow you to adjust the door closer to the face frame.
I hope this helps
Keith
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Kjull, I actuallt replaced the home depot hinge with a blum hinge, and the gap is a lot better. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.
Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode