Fire door tag missing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
BioNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
View BioNerd's Photo Album My Photos
Fire door tag missing

Hello,

I removed the tag from a door that needed trimming before install. I had my helper cut it and I got busy.

When I remembered the tag, I was already home. The tag was in top if the door while been cut. They cleaned and removed tools after bringing the door in.

The door is huge, weights like 300lb or more.

Any advice on how to approach this tomorrow if I don't find it laying around?

The super will kill me.
BioNerd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,037
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if I would be concerned about it. It's like the tag on a pillow saying not to remove the tag under federal law but that just pertains to the retail seller not the consumer. The door is in position of the consumer now.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #3 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 AM
Uncle Fester
 
unclefester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,555
View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
I don't know if I would be concerned about it. It's like the tag on a pillow saying not to remove the tag under federal law but that just pertains to the retail seller not the consumer. The door is in position of the consumer now.
Not true if a commercial installation. I just had two doors tagged by an inspector for not having a label. Doors and frames were existing outside my area of work.
Ready for this? We have to replace the doors and frames to pass inspection for an occupancy permit. That's a $5,000 don't worry about it for someone else.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
unclefester is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,037
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Not true if a commercial installation. I just had two doors tagged by an inspector for not having a label. Doors and frames were existing outside my area of work.
Ready for this? We have to replace the doors and frames to pass inspection for an occupancy permit. That's a $5,000 don't worry about it for someone else.
It's hard to believe commercial work has changed that much since I've done it or maybe it's just Texas. We installed commercial doors but we finished them in the shop and removed any labeling to finish the doors before they were delivered to the job site.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #5 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
BioNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
View BioNerd's Photo Album My Photos
This is not a commercial building, its a house.
BioNerd is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 164
View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
You should be fine in a house, as long as the house is not a rental. The code requirements for fire rated doors/fire stop is typically not as strict in a single family home. I would double check your local by-laws though.

Simon
2lim is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 2,992
View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
fwiw, to my knowledge, if you modified the door in any way, it is no longer rated at the tag anyway. if you are trying to meet some code with a fire rated door, check with your local inpectors.

i am certain you cannot modify a fire rated door in our location. we wanted to bore a hole for a deadbolt - nope. the door was tested as is, any modifications will alter the rating.
TimPa is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Sleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 5,423
View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
My coworker just bought a house within the past few week and someone checked the door between the garage and the house for the home inspection. And Our office building gets inspected every few years by someone from the fire marshals office. I assume that apartment buildings are also regularly inspected because every time there is an apartment fire on the news, someones always talking about previous inspections.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sleeper is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
BioNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
View BioNerd's Photo Album My Photos
It needed to be trimmed to fit in its opening. The door company has sucked from day 1.

I appreciate all responses. I could not sleep because of this so it's 430am, I'm having breakfast...
BioNerd is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Uncle Fester
 
unclefester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,555
View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
It's hard to believe commercial work has changed that much since I've done it or maybe it's just Texas. We installed commercial doors but we finished them in the shop and removed any labeling to finish the doors before they were delivered to the job site.
I have done work in Dallas and yes the codes are more relaxed.
California is earthquakes, Chicago is fire and New York is well New York.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
unclefester is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Uncle Fester
 
unclefester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,555
View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa
fwiw, to my knowledge, if you modified the door in any way, it is no longer rated at the tag anyway. if you are trying to meet some code with a fire rated door, check with your local inpectors. i am certain you cannot modify a fire rated door in our location. we wanted to bore a hole for a deadbolt - nope. the door was tested as is, any modifications will alter the rating.
Yep, that's true

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
unclefester is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
BioNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
View BioNerd's Photo Album My Photos
I found the damn thing, I had carefully bagged it and labeled it. I just didn't remember.

I was happy this am when I found it.

Case closed.

Thanks for the input!
BioNerd is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Uncle Fester
 
unclefester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,555
View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioNerd
I found the damn thing, I had carefully bagged it and labeled it. I just didn't remember. I was happy this am when I found it. Case closed. Thanks for the input!
That's great news

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
unclefester is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,037
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't see how trimming a fire rated door would ruin the fire proofing part of the door. The only difference is the core is made out of fire resistant particle board.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #15 of 18 Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 164
View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
Trimming the door probably doesn't actually hurt the rating. The reason is that once you modify it, then it isn't the same door that was engineered and tested. Those rules are more in place so that someone doesn't go and cut a window into the middle off the door, and assume it still maintains code rating. Where I am located, this goes for the energy rating of doors too. The door is rated as an entire unit, and and once modified, loses it's rating. That being said, most fire doors, and energy rated doors are exterior/dividers that should be measured slack of the opening and hung within the frame that they come with(around here anyways), so trimming should not be needed.

Simon
2lim is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
BioNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
View BioNerd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lim View Post
Trimming the door probably doesn't actually hurt the rating. The reason is that once you modify it, then it isn't the same door that was engineered and tested. Those rules are more in place so that someone doesn't go and cut a window into the middle off the door, and assume it still maintains code rating. Where I am located, this goes for the energy rating of doors too. The door is rated as an entire unit, and and once modified, loses it's rating. That being said, most fire doors, and energy rated doors are exterior/dividers that should be measured slack of the opening and hung within the frame that they come with(around here anyways), so trimming should not be needed.

Simon
Well man, the door company has made many many mistakes in this job. The door is like 5'x8'... they made the head of the jamb the same dimension that the width of the door... same. No gaps.
BioNerd is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Ghidrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 766
View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Just finished looking at my copy of the IRC and it doesn't mention specifics beyond materials, thickness and time door is rated for

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty

Last edited by Ghidrah; 03-11-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Ghidrah is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Sleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 5,423
View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I was looking at my fire rated doors and the tag is on the hinge side of the doors so itís visible when opening the door. I think it would be hard to see on top or bottom of the door and I donít think anybody would remove the door to check the sticker.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sleeper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something is missing Steve Neul General Woodworking Discussion 43 12-03-2014 10:18 PM
info tag Dave40 Power Tools & Machinery 0 10-20-2011 07:39 PM
Name Tag Key Chains scrollerart Project Showcase 9 09-10-2011 11:34 AM
How I got my tag line sawdustfactory Woodturning 14 08-22-2011 11:38 PM
What Am I Missing??? Gene Howe General Woodworking Discussion 6 05-21-2011 02:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome