Finishing question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

View cdk59244's Photo Album My Photos
Question Finishing question

Used birch plywood to create frames

Stains went on well

Created wipe on poly from minwax satin polyurethane mixed with mineral spirits at 75/25 ratio.

Wiped on first coat then waited approx 5 hours and applied 2nd coat. Turned out great so far but had to stop for 24 hours or so.

Sanded a couple frames very lightly with 320. Seemed to make scratches and dull color despite very light sanding so stopped after a few frames and added another layer of poly to just those. The sanding did not remove color completely but appeared dulled even after wiping with mineral spirits and letting that dry)

The frames sanded are smoother in appearance and can only see scratch marks if at an angle but the frames without sanding do not have the scratches so I prefer to not touch them. However, I worry about the wood decaying over time as have read occurs if wood is not finished.

I am unsure if there is enough finish on the non-sanded frames and don't want to cause same problems as the sanded frames so do not believe sanding and applying poly is the way to go but believe I waited too long at this point to apply more layers of poly if I don't sand.

Any insight would be much appreciated on what I should do or if I should do nothing and not worry there may not be enough finish on the frames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk59244 View Post
Used birch plywood to create frames

Stains went on well

Created wipe on poly from minwax satin polyurethane mixed with mineral spirits at 75/25 ratio.

Wiped on first coat then waited approx 5 hours and applied 2nd coat. Turned out great so far but had to stop for 24 hours or so.

Sanded a couple frames very lightly with 320. Seemed to make scratches and dull color despite very light sanding so stopped after a few frames and added another layer of poly to just those. The sanding did not remove color completely but appeared dulled even after wiping with mineral spirits and letting that dry)

The frames sanded are smoother in appearance and can only see scratch marks if at an angle but the frames without sanding do not have the scratches so I prefer to not touch them. However, I worry about the wood decaying over time as have read occurs if wood is not finished.

I am unsure if there is enough finish on the non-sanded frames and don't want to cause same problems as the sanded frames so do not believe sanding and applying poly is the way to go but believe I waited too long at this point to apply more layers of poly if I don't sand.

Any insight would be much appreciated on what I should do or if I should do nothing and not worry there may not be enough finish on the frames.
I'm not sure what problem you are experiencing. It's normal for a finish to look dull after sanding. It's like you sanded a sheet of plexiglass, you wouldn't expect it to be clear anymore. The sanding makes scratches in the finish which is filled with the next coat of finish. When you apply the last coat, you shouldn't sand on it again. The finish should be done at that point.

With a wipe on poly you should expect to apply twice as many coats as if you sprayed it or brushed it. Where two coats might work in this manor it may take four with a wipe on. You sort of measure the thickness of the finish rather than count coats. A finish should be 3 mils thick which is about the thickness of a lawn and leaf trash bag. When it appears to have about that much you are done.

You might check with the instructions with the finish you are using. Five hours I think is rushing the finish. Other than the fast dry poly in hot weather I don't know of any poly that dries enough for another coat that soon. In cool and or damp weather that time should be greatly extended.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode