Finishing question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-04-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

View rookiewoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing question

I am making a dining room table out of really old maple that was in railroad cars. See the attached pic. I initially was going to use an oil based poly for the finish but my wife wants it a little darker. Stain is certainly an option but am curious what some of u would do instead of stain? She doesn't want it dark at all, just darker than using an oil topcoat.

Second question....can u put stain over epoxy??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2564483558.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	188529  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2015, 11:40 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
Any epoxy I've ever use won't take stain.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
You can put stain over epoxy, but it doesn't take the stain and look the same color. Ca glue and wood glue on the surface of the wood don't take stain either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 03:29 PM

View sheperd80's Photo Album My Photos
Maple (like most light woods) doesnt stain very well. Perhaps a Danish Oil type product with some color in it would give you want your looking for. Or you could spray it with a light coat of dye and get whatever color you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you want egg in your beer and foam on the bottom. We get these questions that really go against the grain so to speak.
If it's maple. It's going to have a light base and any staining will still have a lighter color to it than if it were a darker wood to begin with. I would get the table built and ready for finish with a section on the bottom finished and ready too. Use that area to experiment on. Trying to do what amounts to a professionally finished table is difficult for experienced woodworker let alone someone with these questions.

Best off if you aren't experienced at the finish your wife is after. Build the table and give it to a pro to finish. They can take a sample of what your wife is after and match it perfectly. They will use a professional spray product you may also have no experience with and it will be flawless and hold up well under normal use. Brushing on poly will be very disappointing. A wipe on maybe okay.

Al

post #6 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

So the update is that my wife doesn't want to stain it anymore, she wants a natural looking finish as well. I was planning on using general finishes arm-r-seal (pic attached). I've used this many times in the past and I'm very confident with it. As u can see from the wood, there is still some remaining patina in some of the cracks after I sanded. I'm worried that if I wipe on this finish, it will spread the patina throughout the table. Can u spray this finish? Or would you recommend I spray a coat of dewaxed shellac on it first to seal it and then follow up with some coats of arm-r-seal??? Thanks for advice. I will be sure to post pics when this table is complete!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-563047594.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	189529  

post #7 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to attach recent pic of the wood.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3556504005.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	189537  

post #8 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiewoodworker View Post
So the update is that my wife doesn't want to stain it anymore, she wants a natural looking finish as well. I was planning on using general finishes arm-r-seal (pic attached). I've used this many times in the past and I'm very confident with it. As u can see from the wood, there is still some remaining patina in some of the cracks after I sanded. I'm worried that if I wipe on this finish, it will spread the patina throughout the table. Can u spray this finish? Or would you recommend I spray a coat of dewaxed shellac on it first to seal it and then follow up with some coats of arm-r-seal??? Thanks for advice. I will be sure to post pics when this table is complete!

Great product.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiewoodworker View Post
Forgot to attach recent pic of the wood.....

I'd try to get a little more of the black marks off. The finish will make it blacker. I'd try to bleach it out.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode