Finishing Exterior Cherry Doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
EdM

View EdM's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing Exterior Cherry Doors

I was wondering if anyone might know if first coat of spar urethane should be thinned if spraying on exterior cherry doors. I was thinking maybe not necessary if pretreating with a sanding sealer. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4458.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	376641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4459.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	376643  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Most of us don't have the patience to do it but any finish interior or exterior is better done if the first coat or sealer is thinned. It penetrates better making a better bond with the wood. If you use a sanding sealer be sure it's rated for exterior use. Many are not.

The word spar urethane suggests Helmsman. While a spar varnish is a good product to use on an exterior door the Helmsman is one of the worst on the market. If the door is exposed to sun and rain you probably won't get but a couple of years out of it before it starts failing. It's also prone to yellow badly. Cabot makes a better spar but the best is Epifanes. It's formulated to use on the deck of a boat. It also provides more UV protection which is important with cherry. Cherry is very sensitive to sunlight. I saw a guy leave a saw blade on a sheet of cherry plywood for 30 minutes while he went to lunch. After he came back he picked up the saw blade and you could count the number of teeth the blade had in the sheet because the rest of the sheet had darkened.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
EdM

View EdM's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the feedback, I will look into the Epifanes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The first coat could be thinned but spraying is not normally recommended with urethane. And why are you asking about the first coat in specific?

I have done a lot of boat work in my life as well as lived and traveled on my own boat and I agree 100% with Steve about Epifanes. That is all I use.

There is a 2 component urethane for outdoors but last time I checked, several years ago, it was about $150/qt. Great stuff and is very temperature sensitive for application.

As for MinWax Spar Varnish, it is a joke. It shouldn't even be allowed to be sold with a name like Spar Varnish. I doubt it would last more than 2 months in direct sunlight during the summer in the south.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2019, 11:18 AM
I like Nails

View SeanStuart's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode