Finish trim work fasteners - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

View ronstruc's Photo Album My Photos
Finish trim work fasteners

I have some trim work to do on small material for casing on doors, cabinetry trim, etc. What do you use to attach small wood pieces together? I have a finish nailer and a brad nailer but I think our cabinet guy and finish guy when we built about 6 years ago used a pin nailer for most of the small pieces. Wondering if that is the goto now for small wood pieces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 12:23 PM

View Hornflake76's Photo Album My Photos
With trim, rather than being fastened together they will be fastened to the door casing or cabinet itself. If the trim is bulky/heavy I'd use a finish nailer since it'll have a stronger hold. If the trim work is light a brad nailer would be the way to go. The heads are smaller and require little to no putty work before painting or staining.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
The only time I will use my pin gun is to hold the parts until the glue dries, they don't have much holding power.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 03:20 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
To set door casings you need to use at minimum of 16 gauge finish nails.
For closet shelving 16 gauge minimum.
For door and window trim, base molds, chair rail and crown molds, an 18 gauge or 16 gauge nail will work.
For small decorative moldings an 18 gauge or pin.
Use a headless pin (usually 19-23 gauge) where you donít want any nail head visible.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Mad

View Mad's Photo Album My Photos
As said in the other forums you've posted this question in, I use 18 gauge for holding power, colored head nails just because, and I vary the air pressure to control depth of pierce to avoid canyons or splits in the material being fastened.

I adjust pressure on scrap, and have a regulator immediately at the work site, not at the compressor. It goes compressor, 100 feet of line (which serves as an extra "tank"), then regulator, then a coil hose (those yellow helix things that are supposed to stretch out to fifty feet but I rarely stretch mine out beyond 10 feet), then IRAX swivel joint or equivalent, then pneumatic brad nail gun (mine is a Bostich B135). The ammo brads have T heads, and I align the head of the T with the grain of the wood, if tacking stain grade trim.

The randomization of the grain line, combined with the pre painted ammo, makes the fasteners disappear, even without finishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode