Finally picked up a jointer off craigslist! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View DrHorrible's Photo Album My Photos
Finally picked up a jointer off craigslist!

I have been searching for jointers on craigslist for several months, because I didn't want to spend the full price on a brand new one, and I had time to wait it out.

I picked up an old, used G1182 and it's in great mechanical shape and the bed is solid with no rust.

However, there is some rust on the various screws and knobs, and the bed could use some cleaning (it's kinda spotted but not rusted, if you know what I mean).

Any tips for helping me recondition this a bit? I'm not very familiar with the chemicals and such that would be involved. I probably won't go all out and repaint it or anything, but a nice cleanup would be nice before I start using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHorrible View Post
I have been searching for jointers on craigslist for several months, because I didn't want to spend the full price on a brand new one, and I had time to wait it out.

I picked up an old, used G1182 and it's in great mechanical shape and the bed is solid with no rust.

However, there is some rust on the various screws and knobs, and the bed could use some cleaning (it's kinda spotted but not rusted, if you know what I mean).

Any tips for helping me recondition this a bit? I'm not very familiar with the chemicals and such that would be involved. I probably won't go all out and repaint it or anything, but a nice cleanup would be nice before I start using it.
I use one of that same model and it is a workhorse. Very easy to work on / change blades. Factory blades are big enough to be sharpened more than a 'few' times. Easy to adjust and stays 'true' when fences are adjusted and locked down. I built long infeed and outfeed tables for ours and use it for things much larger than it was designed for regularly without killing it yet.

You can toss those various screws and knobs off in some naval jelly and after a short while the rust will be gone. Rinse with water and hit it with a wire brush before refinishing.

I use a rotary rock tumbler and stainless steel pins (and whatever liquid cleaners depending on material) for this sort of work often. Parts come out like new or better with little to no effort. 'Small parts' being the limiting factor here.

You got a good tool here in MY opinion. It is definitely worth fixing up and putting into service.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 PM

View jjrbus's Photo Album My Photos
I picked up a Jet 6" off craigslist for $125, I would not have paid that much but it was right around the corner. It is an older machine but looked like it had little use? The bed and fence had surface rust, cleaned with a scotch brite pad and then a liberal coat of Johnsons paste wax. I put in a new set of knives and am good to go. No wheels so I added a HF dolly. Good luck JIm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode