Final (hopfully) basement plan check - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

View wolfgang953's Photo Album My Photos
Final (hopfully) basement plan check

Hopefully this will be my final thread about this basement room. Iv had a lot of questions over the last few months, and im grateful for those that have helped.

In a number of those threads i had questions that got off the main topic of that thread, but still within the basement room umbrella. Several times i mentioned id make a video to show the whole thing instead of always trying to make ppl read 10 pages of text that was partially off topic. So i have that video now. I tried to make it as complete as i could so i wouldnt have 10 posts of information i forgot to mention. As such the video is a tad long. Sorry about that. (Tho i did go back and make a shorter video, which i will also include.) Altho im sure there is some stuff i forgot. I was working through a week long migraine. If the pain didnt suck enough, the constant nausea sure did. So its a good bet that something slipped my mind at some point.

For those that havnt seen my threads in the past few months, this is about constructing a room inside my basement, with the walls a little bit in form the cinder block walls. - Im unable to take care of all (other) problems before hand, but i need to get this room up now. My planned funding also got cut in half... then cut in half again. So its really a matter of working with what i have for now. (Need this done so i dont risk losing my house. Long story that ill skip.) Hopefully i can manage for a while until im able to take care of things properly one day. - That being said feel free to note any issues you might see. Might be something i already know of, but it might not be. Or the info i had could have been wrong or questionable. Id rather find out now then after this is all done.

My video

My shorter, faster, probably a little less detailed video

And a big thank you to anyone that will actually bother to sit through watching that! - Fyi; i always feel awkward as hell talking on videos like that. And my voice always sounds completely different recorded then what i hear in person. It really is not a voice that records well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 04:41 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
well, I didn't watch the entire long video - but I see the walls are nicely sealed, the floor grind must have been a real bear!, the double length blocks indicate the wall is more than the initial 12" - which is good - no way you could install insulation and drywall in a 12" "man way" - using pressure treated 2x4 is a waste, you are just not going to have enough water soaking the wood over enough time to make any difference. smooth move on the venting.

what did you decide on insulating the ceiling? most of the commenters did not read about what you are doing and hence there's a whole lot of bad advice on the topic. the idea of "no ceiling" again is one of those "just didn't read a thing" suggestions. if you need to a/c the room there is no sanity in leaving the top of the room open beamed.

info note: if the ceiling is 96.5" from floor (example only) you can't build/nail up a wall 96.5" tall on the floor and then tilt it up. have you thought about the precise steps to constructing the walls?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

the ceiling has been a concern of mine. I was trying to decide between insulating the ceiling and then putting something over it (so insulation dust isnt getting into the room). But i came up short on ideas for that. Seeing as i would need something that can be easily removed. Since one day i hope to move the walls back to the cinder block, and i already know i have some electrical work that will need to be done. So i dont want something thats to hard to get into. - That being said.. personal family matters.. ate up the last bit of my funds. So i cant afford to get anything to cover it anyway.

However the top plate of the walls still only go up to those roof joists. So ill have a large space above them that i will have to cover up one way or another. (shown at 43:20 in video). For now im thinking of just leaving the main section empty. - I need to keep that room cool so it being winter and a basement should buy me a little bit of time :/ (68f or less)

Tilting the wall wouldnt work if it were made at the exact height when standing. Really doesnt seem like much of a choice but to make it slightly shorter. Just enough to make that clearing when tilting it up. As for what to do about that little gap once the walls are up.. im not sure yet. Depends on whats available and just how big the gap is in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
the floor grind must have been a real bear!
a whole lot more then i thought it would be! That machine was powerful as hell. And for someone in my condition, it took every last bit to attempt to control that thing.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-31-2018, 10:47 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
Your walls consist of a sill plate( on the floor) and two top plates. Nail the uppermost top plate to the ceiling joists. Then frame the wall 1/8 inch shorter than the distance betewwn the floor and the plate on the joists,using the two plates that are left. Then, the wall is short enough to stand up in the room, and you can nail the top plates together. Voila!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Im hoping in a week or so ill be able to get started on this finally.

Got to get my chin to a vet. And have one more bit of lumber to get. One of my pt 2x4s warped way to much while drying. And one of my regular 2x4s is to twisted. (Which out of sorting out 120 or so 2x4s to take, that aint a bad average. More so when you consider the stack of ones i wasnt going to buy was just as large) And possibly a few new 2x6s. After several hours of sorting those 2x4s out, my mind must have been wondering as i failed to notice that the 2x6s i was looking at where a goofy length and not the standard 8ft boards. Might also explain why they seemed to be ****ty quality boards as well. So if i can find some better ones ill get them.

But as soon as that last pt 2x4 is dry, i should be ready by then. Heres hoping.

So if anyone else has anything to add before i start, please do!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.carpenter00 View Post
Your walls consist of a sill plate( on the floor) and two top plates. Nail the uppermost top plate to the ceiling joists. Then frame the wall 1/8 inch shorter than the distance betewwn the floor and the plate on the joists,using the two plates that are left. Then, the wall is short enough to stand up in the room, and you can nail the top plates together. Voila!

Give that ill one day have to move the walls, and that each corner of the frame will be screwed in to the backing studs all the way around, would that be enough to support it up right without having to use a top plate drill into the ceiling joists?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
I only have one question/suggestion.....I didn't keep up with ALL the other threads and posts AND NOT going to start now BUT....

You're talking about being short on money AND needing to get this done, I AM NOT familiar with your geographic OR building code so that may affect my suggestion.

Paint the sealed wall a desired color as you'd choose anyway for your drywall and use it for a temporary.....it CAN'T be that much of a heat/cool issue as you still have to deal with a 28" gap air problem anyway. This will also prevent a molding issue UNLESS you plan on running a fan 24/7 behind walls/walkway to prevent moisture build up and stale air issues.

You only have to extent the 2 other walls 28" each and done. I'm seeing a LOT of build and move issues/headaches. I was always told to keep it simple.

There's NOT enough difference in building cost and simple additional heat/air usage/cost to offset these walls. I do fall back to I DON'T know your code (MOST are just theories and not facts) AND they unfortunately do override IF their not knowledged in facts.

JUST a simple basic answer....codes don't allow...I don't like...I didn't realize...thanks.... I don't need a long lengthy text, messages or videos that tie up time and space ...I just lose my focus. I don't mind helping or explaining BUT ONLY if a person is interested in facts. YOU expressed short on cash, quickness and a opinion that would help you and I answered to those.

Thanks and I hope this helps.

PS I did get far enough into one video about 2 block dam....great idea but seal the 8" tall to sealed area to prevent water seepage migration.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode