figured walnut finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

View Buckhunter's Photo Album My Photos
figured walnut finish

looking for recommendations for the finish on a figured walnut nightstand that I have recently built . I have a good supply of wipe on poly that I bought on sale a couple years ago but was thinking maybe an oil finish . If I do use the wipe on poly should I use a sanding sealer first ? ...... all advice is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter View Post
looking for recommendations for the finish on a figured walnut nightstand that I have recently built . I have a good supply of wipe on poly that I bought on sale a couple years ago but was thinking maybe an oil finish . If I do use the wipe on poly should I use a sanding sealer first ? ...... all advice is welcome
The polyurethane would provide more protection from water. An oil finish is fine as long as you are careful not to set a sweaty glass on it.

You don't have to use a sanding sealer to use polyurethane however it would be less labor intensive to do so. A sanding sealer is like a primer made easy to sand so you can do much of the finish with the sealer and then topcoat with the poly. Poly is a lot harder finish and more difficult to sand between coats.

If you have compressed air I would recommend purchasing a cheap sprayer and use lacquer to finish your projects. Lacquer normally dries in 15 minutes or so where in winter weather you could put a couple coats of lacquer sanding sealer on it and topcoat with two coats of lacquer and be done with the finishing in a couple hours.
Jim Frye likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I finish Walnut nearly every week and use Nitrocellulose lacquer exclusively - looks fantastic. And it dries in no time at all like Steve says.

Post photos of the nightstand when you're able - before finish and after. We like pics!

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

View Buckhunter's Photo Album My Photos
can wipe on poly be wet sanded ? .... how many coats >
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter View Post
can wipe on poly be wet sanded ? .... how many coats >

Yes, but it has to be well cured to avoid gumming up the paper and you should apply two to three coats prior to sanding. Poly is softer than the old style varnishes, so it has to be fully cured to minimize corning of the sand paper even if wetted. I do WOP almost exclusively on my projects and I don't really sand them. I use non-woven abrasive pads (like the ones made by 3M) in a 1/4 sheet orbital sander to rub out the applications. I will apply 2 or 3 initial coats of gloss depending on the openness of the wood grain and then rub out with a gray pad (000 steel wool equivalent). I continue with a gloss application and rub out until I get the build I want. The last application with the sheen I want is rubbed out with a white pad (0000) with liquefied paste wax,

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode