Festool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

View Dondi12's Photo Album My Photos
Festool

Saw a FestoolSaw demonstration recently and was very impressed with the way they have gone after dust. Making just about every tool with a port to attach their dust "extraction" hose. When hooked up to the tool the extraction works very well, very little dust in the air. Now the big question, are they worth the money they want? They are super expensive! The salesman told me that in a commercial shop (that I don't have) a Festool a sander will outlast 6 or 8 DeWalts or P.C. Or Bosch sanders. But I could buy about 10 of the other brands to one Festool. I think it is an excellent product but grossly overpriced. I'm just a weekend woodworker I have no use for that kind of equipment for that price. Also I'm 50 yrs old I'm not going to invest in tools that expensive when if need be I'll run down to the local hardware store and purchase another DeWalt sander when my old one dies. What is your opinion on the price of Festool?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dondi12 For This Useful Post:
ecr (10-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 AM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
To me, it's like Snap-on tools. I can turn the same bolt, nut, etc with a Craftsman wrench but Snap-on is probably made with better steel, closer tolerances, etc. To me Festool is stupid expensive. I would never buy one.
post #3 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
master sawdust maker

View Wema826's Photo Album My Photos
+ 1 to the Snap-on, I can see their place in a professional woodworking shop. But for us hobbiest and weekenders, I think it would be more of a measuring contest.

John,

Confidence does not come from always being right. It comes from not being afraid to be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
German engineering has it's advantages. They are expensive because the are built well. The are part of a system. Most tools will work with all the accessories they have. The extractors will work with all the tools. The systainers connect to each other and are nice and stack-able.

I have a few tools, the TS 55 track saw and the OH 1400 router. Bot are used on occasion and both work extremely well. Are they worth the price. Hard to say. They do their job well and when I need them they are now there.

For the hobbyist, probably overkill unless you have an excess of money gathering dust. For the pro, good tools make you money. So once you put out the dollars you soon forget about that and have the tool for a long time.

The one tool that is a good first buy would be the track saw. It has many uses if you are cutting sheet goods and need accuracy and easy cutting.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 AM

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
Festool are nice stuff but I could never justify the price unless they were making me money and I were selling my stuff. I like good tools and buy the best quality I can afford but festool are way over thetop from my needs. Their miter saw is something like 1300 dollars, you can buy a nice miter saw for 500 bucks that will meet the needs of almost all of us. There is no doubt their tools have nice features but I don't think you can justify the cost unless you are making mony with your tools.

Thanks for your help
post #6 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Worth every single penny. I find it funny that 90% of people can only bitch about the price because they have never bought one or used one.

I bet I have bought 20k+ worth of Festool's over the last 5 years.

The all still work like the day I bought them and have saved me tons of time and made me tons of money.

They are heirloom quality tools, you know those old metal house power tools your grandpa spent his whole pay check just to get a router or saw that is still in perfect usable condition today.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post

For the hobbyist, probably overkill unless you have an excess of money gathering dust.

I believe their market share is about split down the middle between hobby guys and pro's, maybe more hobby guys.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Worth every single penny. I find it funny that 90% of people can only bitch about the price because they have never bought one or used one.

I bet I have bought 20k+ worth of Festool's over the last 5 years.

The all still work like the day I bought them and have saved me tons of time and made me tons of money.

They are heirloom quality tools, you know those old metal house power tools your grandpa spent his whole pay check just to get a router or saw that is still in perfect usable condition today.
A key point. If they aren't making money, they are an expense.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #9 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 PM

View scsmith42's Photo Album My Photos
99.9% of Festool owners would not trade in their used Festools for a new tool from a different manufacturer. I know that I wouldn't, and like WarnerConst I too have a significant investment in Festool products.

In particular, their sanders and Domino system are extraordinary, and their track saw provides glue-line rip quality cuts. I can use their sanders for an hour at a time and my hands don't tingle the way that they do with other manufacturers products. Their dust extraction system coupled with their sanders is so thorough that no dust mask is required. The list goes on and on.

As to whether to purchase them or not, it really comes down to individual preference. If you are a person who truly appreciates an excellent tool - even if you don't use it often - then Festool products may be for you.

On the other hand, if you are not a pro or really don't take joy in the use of an extremely well designed and built tool, then you might want to seek other options.

Unlike some manufacturers that invest more in marketing than R&D, Festool's reputation is well deserved and not just marketing hype.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM

View scsmith42's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post

They are an expense no matter what. The difference is that if they make you money, you're getting a return on your investment in monetary terms.

If you use them as a hobbiest, then the return on your investment is the pleasure derived from using a well engineered and manufactured tool.
post #11 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM

View Flatlander's Photo Album My Photos
I love the best tools also, having said that I have found that I do not always use what I have bought enough to justify the purchase.
For example I found that I can hand sand better, faster and with less expense and dust than any power sander.
I did not believe it myself until I timed the two methods on a couple of items that were identical in size and grain.
I then took the two items to people to judge which had the better feel and look and they all picked the hand sanded items!

I suppose it would be another topic but how about a thread on which tools have you had buyers remorse?
How many Leigh dovetail jigs are under dusty benches or biscuit cutters that are unused?
Not to pick on any particular manufacture but I have bought my share of good quality tools and wish I could sell them for half of what I paid for them.
post #12 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
It's only a one time expense that will keep you happy for years if not decades. Save up for what you want and get it.

I paid $500 for the Mirka Ceros sander. Way to much for a sander in my opinion but still worth it. Only hurt for a short while. Now sanding isn't as much of a chore and it is nearly dust free.

Helps my business, saves me time and keeps my lungs free of that fine dust. Pretty nice insurance for a single outlay of $500

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #13 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM

View preacherman's Photo Album My Photos
I think it is like the Snap-On thing for mechanics tools. When I was a mechanic I purchased as much Snap-On tools as I could get. Are the expensive? You bet, but I was using them everyday and there is a clear quality difference when you use it everyday, day in and day out for years. I would suppose it is the same way with the Festool stuff. If it were being used everyday to make a living with I would say it makes a difference and be worth the cost. But for those of us who only use our tools occasionally it will never be worth that cost. I would rather buy wood with all that money and use my inferior tools to make some saw dust.
post #14 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
have saved me tons of time and made me tons of money
That's the name of the game. A pro can probably justify Festool on a cost-benefit basis, but an non-pro probably can't.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

View Dondi12's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the Snap-on analogy. Great tool for professionals but hard to justify for weekenders. But if you decide to purchase one you'll have something really nice. As for me I'll stick with my DeWalt, Makita, etc.
post #16 of 34 Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 PM

View Flatlander's Photo Album My Photos
I repaired some machines for a company who made sockets for Snap on, Black Hawk, Craftsman and Husky.
All of the tools came off the same header machines, some went on for more polishing but all were made from the same steel and machinery.
There is a lot of marketing going on.

Any one out there have a Leigh dovetailing jig under their bench gathering dust?
How about a biscuit jointer?
I love my tools and gadgets, I have spent good money buying the best tools i could afford over the years.
I wish I could get my money back on a lot of them!
post #17 of 34 Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 AM
600 Grit

View Andrew LB's Photo Album My Photos
While I do not own any festool sanders I have had the opportunity to use a few of them and they are without question the best sander I've ever used. I personally also believe they are worth the money if you are making money with them because they don't cause anywhere near the fatigue or numbness after extended periods of use. Combined with the best in the business dust extraction, I'd wager the reduction of inhaled particulate will result in better health long term.

I currently own a Bosch ROS20VSK and it's a fantastic sander for the sub-$100 range. It's far superior to anything in that price range.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM

View ewryter's Photo Album My Photos
Every tool they make is better than its everyday counterpart. They are well worth the money if you are making the money to buy them. All you have to do is get one in your hands and you'll know what I mean.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 AM

View Irishroey's Photo Album My Photos
I was actually logging on today to search about a festool jigsaw
I currently own a ts55 and purchased it about 7 years ago it is still the best tool I have in my van
I am in the need of a jigsaw and i am going to order the eq300 later this week,has any one any info on this jigsaw
post #20 of 34 Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Some buy Festool because they truly appreciate the quality, convenience, versatility, comfort of use etc etc....

Some buy Festool because they can....

Others buy Festool just so they can SAY they have Festool....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode