Fence mount featherboard - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

View GoNavy429's Photo Album My Photos
Fence mount featherboard

Just out of curiosity I wonder why no one has invented a fence mountable feather board for a table saw, one that can adjust out towards the blade to adjust to board width for ripping. Not talking about featherboard to hold wood in, feather board to hold wood down on the table. Obviously your not going use it for big items, but big items don't kickback that much, it's always the small pieces. Seems like a no brainier, they make them for routers and get used all the time. Never see them for table saws, seems there would be no way to kickback if the wood couldn't lift from the table and you wouldn't have to get anywhere near the blade if you could just push to a point then start pulling from the other end to finish the cut. I bring this up because of threads on kickback and another thread discussion on splitter use or lack of, and this just popped into my head, so I am curious. What would be the reason for not using it if they do exist or were made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure if this is what you mean.

Grip-Tite sell a steel plate to clamp on the fence, then you can use their Grip-Tite featherboards on the fence. They also sell litttle rollers with abrasive paper to keep the stock against the fence.

http://grip-tite.com/Site/Home.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
GoNavy429 (11-29-2013)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I use a fence mounted feather board on my saw whenever I feel it is needed. Why reinvent the wheel?

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

View GoNavy429's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post

Grip-Tite sell a steel plate to clamp on the fence, then you can use their Grip-Tite featherboards on the fence. They also sell litttle rollers with abrasive paper to keep the stock against the fence.

Yes, that's the idea, thanks. I am getting a set of them, didn't know they had anything like that......of course I was thinking more like a regular featherboard with an extendable arm to move it right next to the blade, you could handle some really wide boards, limited by the arm lenght of your board. If the board were thin, it wouldn't matter much that the arm overhung the fence to the right, nothing going on on that side fence anyways..lol...but this mag-clamp seems to solve the problem and seems quick to use.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 12:15 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy429 View Post
Just out of curiosity I wonder why no one has invented a fence mountable feather board for a table saw, one that can adjust out towards the blade to adjust to board width for ripping. Not talking about featherboard to hold wood in, feather board to hold wood down on the table. Obviously your not going use it for big items, but big items don't kickback that much, it's always the small pieces. Seems like a no brainier, they make them for routers and get used all the time. Never see them for table saws, seems there would be no way to kickback if the wood couldn't lift from the table and you wouldn't have to get anywhere near the blade if you could just push to a point then start pulling from the other end to finish the cut. I bring this up because of threads on kickback and another thread discussion on splitter use or lack of, and this just popped into my head, so I am curious. What would be the reason for not using it if they do exist or were made.
A fence mounted feather board is no different than any other feather board. I use one frequently, especially when I am using a molding head on my table saw. In that case I use both table mounted and fence mounted feather boards.

I also use fence mounted feather boards on my router table.

George
post #6 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
I use these in certain instances.
http://www.rockler.com/board-buddies...back-hold-down
Holds the workpiece down as well as against the fence and the yellow wheels only spin one direction so it functions as an anti-kickback device as well (BTW, if your fence doesn't lock in the rear you must have a way to clamp it down)
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
GoNavy429 (11-29-2013)
post #7 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM

View Lynden's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post

Grip-Tite sells a steel plate to clamp on the fence, then you can use their Grip-Tite featherboards on the fence. They also sell litttle rollers with abrasive paper to keep the stock against the fence.

You can also use a Magswitch featherboard with the Grip-Tite fence plate. Home Depot sells a Ridgid magnetic featherboard which is similar to the Magswitch featherboard and less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-Table-Feather-Universal-Model/dp/B001DSZ7EC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1385759132&sr=1-1&keywords=magnetic+featherboard+for+table+saws

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Ma...c+featherboard

Last edited by Lynden; 11-29-2013 at 04:23 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Vega stock feeder, I adapted to my Xacta fence. It does a great job holding the stock against the fence, as well as against the table.
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 AM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Been usin' Board Buddies on the TS. Used 'em on the RAS for years.
Not too convenient when ripping narrow stuff though.
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode