Favor from track saw owner? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,950
View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Favor from track saw owner?

I’m thinking of making a shoe for a small circular saw to be able to use it on a Makita or Festool track. Can anyone tell me how wide and deep the slot in the underside of the saw is?
Quickstep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 01:18 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I can when I get home. But, Im not understanding which dimmension you are after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
For what its worth, I saw a track saw that looked identical to my Makita at Menards for like 200. Masterforce brand I think.

Also Kreg makes a track for a standard circ saw I believe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Oh, you want the dimension from the saw, I got it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,950
View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you've got it, but here's a sketch...

The distance from the edge of the slot to the blade would be an added bonus.

Thanks a million!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SawGuide.001.jpg (65.6 KB, 26 views)
Quickstep is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Z dimension of the track is 4 and 11/16 on the saw its 4 and 5/8

W dimension is just under 5/8 on the track, on the saw its just under 3/4, but they have little cams to ajust the saw to the track.

Mine is a Makita, but Im told its identical to the Festool.

The height of the w part of rhe track is 1/4

I would do similar to what they did and make you skate slot a bit wider then the track, and tighten up with shims of some type.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H

Last edited by furnacefighter15; 06-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Jack of too many trades..
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 139
View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
Why would you do that though? I have circular saws and a makita tracksaw. That makita is safer and smoother than any circ saw I've ever used. It has an plunge capability, better angle control, and a better enclosure and dust collection and generally runs like a dream. I'll probably never use a circa saw for anything but cross-cutting notches again.



Even at $400, the Makita was one of the best small tool investments I've ever made. I like being clever with my tools, but sometimes a better tool is better than all the cleverness you can conceive. I'd definitely consider a similar tool from from MeNads, Home Despot, or bLowes if it were under $200.
RepairmanJack is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 08:17 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairmanJack View Post
Why would you do that though? I have circular saws and a makita tracksaw. That makita is safer and smoother than any circ saw I've ever used. It has an plunge capability, better angle control, and a better enclosure and dust collection and generally runs like a dream. I'll probably never use a circa saw for anything but cross-cutting notches again.



Even at $400, the Makita was one of the best small tool investments I've ever made. I like being clever with my tools, but sometimes a better tool is better than all the cleverness you can conceive. I'd definitely consider a similar tool from from MeNads, Home Despot, or bLowes if it were under $200.
You dont happen to know the size of the dust port do you? I think its metric, nothing I have fits without tape, Id really like bag dust catcher like on a sander, cause I find the hose gets snagged a bit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Here I just looked up the Menards masterforce kit.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/p...9990860634.htm

Much better deal then my Makita, I saw it in the store the other day, and the cut depth scale is in SAE instead of Metric, which to me is a huge plus.

Comes with 110” worth of track.

If I knew this was available before I bought the Makita, Id definitely give it a go. Just get the offered replacement plan, and you’d still be money way ahead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #10 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Jack of too many trades..
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 139
View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
You dont happen to know the size of the dust port do you? I think its metric, nothing I have fits without tape, Id really like bag dust catcher like on a sander, cause I find the hose gets snagged a bit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can check in the AM. I was able to get a rubber fitting and long hose that was advertised as fitting the Makita on Amazon.com, but I can't seem to find the record my hose purchase. It does worked great for dust collection - basically a 1" tube with rubber fittings on each end. It's near-about 1.25" but I can get more accurate. I've gone to Rockler and Woodcraft for most of must dust collection needs since then. If you;ve got one nearby you should be able to get something serviceable.

This is the Makita I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000...st_sto_dp&th=1.
I got a better price in 2017. I also got the extra track and connectors for ripping 8' stock. Easily one of the best investments I've ever made. I wouldn't screw-around trying to jury rig something. It was worth every cent.
RepairmanJack is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairmanJack View Post
I can check in the AM. I was able to get a rubber fitting and long hose that was advertised as fitting the Makita on Amazon.com, but I can't seem to find the record my hose purchase. It does worked great for dust collection - basically a 1" tube with rubber fittings on each end. It's near-about 1.25" but I can get more accurate. I've gone to Rockler and Woodcraft for most of must dust collection needs since then. If you;ve got one nearby you should be able to get something serviceable.

This is the Makita I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000...st_sto_dp&th=1.
I got a better price in 2017. I also got the extra track and connectors for ripping 8' stock. Easily one of the best investments I've ever made. I wouldn't screw-around trying to jury rig something. It was worth every cent.

I got laid away pretty good

I got the makita kit with the 55” track, then thought I wanted the long track but did not want to splice it together. So I bought the 110” or whatever it is also. But I have yet to use the long track. I think I paid almost 900 or something stupid out the door.

Im glad I have it, but do wish I would have found the more reasonable priced kit. Mainly cause I could have spent the difference on a whole slew of other things.

I use an 1 1/4 hose from a shop vac that I connect to my DC, but at the saw itself, I have to cobble it in place with duct tape. I could probably use a rubber mission coupling to make that connection better; I just found myself annoyed that none of my “universal” vacuum port adaptors fit.

I did find that makita makes a dust bag for it. Which I think may be the same as the belt sander I have.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/122562-9

I hope it is the same, Im gonna check tomorrow

Sorry for Hijacking the thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,950
View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I found this video that nicely describes what I'm thinking of.


Check out the guy's chop saw set yup at 1:29

It goes by quick, but it's cool. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.
Quickstep is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,950
View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I found this video that describes what I had in mind.

BTW, check out his miter saw set up at bout 1:29 in the video.

Quickstep is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 85
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I found this video that describes what I had in mind.

BTW, check out his miter saw set up at bout 1:29 in the video.

DIY Track Saw Adapter Plate - YouTube

I knew what you were after.

That is a pretty cool mitre saw device the guy has. Ive never seen that either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old 06-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Jack of too many trades..
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 139
View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry for the delayed response, the flex hose is 1-1/4" and the rubber fitting is 1-1/4 inner diameter. It's actually a little too small, but b/c it's rubber, it stretches and fits over the Makita's metric dust outlet nice and snug. It's also threaded on the other end to connect tightly with the 1-1/4 hose.



I think the fitting came with mt hose kit. I didn't see any when I was at the local Woodcraft store on Friday - but they may have just been out of stock.
RepairmanJack is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome