Favor from track saw owner? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Favor from track saw owner?

I’m thinking of making a shoe for a small circular saw to be able to use it on a Makita or Festool track. Can anyone tell me how wide and deep the slot in the underside of the saw is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 01:18 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I can when I get home. But, Im not understanding which dimmension you are after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #3 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 01:20 PM

For what its worth, I saw a track saw that looked identical to my Makita at Menards for like 200. Masterforce brand I think.

Also Kreg makes a track for a standard circ saw I believe.

Dave H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 PM

Oh, you want the dimension from the saw, I got it.

Dave H
post #5 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like you've got it, but here's a sketch...

The distance from the edge of the slot to the blade would be an added bonus.

Thanks a million!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SawGuide.001.jpg (65.6 KB, 26 views)
post #6 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Z dimension of the track is 4 and 11/16 on the saw its 4 and 5/8

W dimension is just under 5/8 on the track, on the saw its just under 3/4, but they have little cams to ajust the saw to the track.

Mine is a Makita, but Im told its identical to the Festool.

The height of the w part of rhe track is 1/4

I would do similar to what they did and make you skate slot a bit wider then the track, and tighten up with shims of some type.

Dave H

Last edited by furnacefighter15; 06-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Jack of too many trades..

View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
Why would you do that though? I have circular saws and a makita tracksaw. That makita is safer and smoother than any circ saw I've ever used. It has an plunge capability, better angle control, and a better enclosure and dust collection and generally runs like a dream. I'll probably never use a circa saw for anything but cross-cutting notches again.

Even at $400, the Makita was one of the best small tool investments I've ever made. I like being clever with my tools, but sometimes a better tool is better than all the cleverness you can conceive. I'd definitely consider a similar tool from from MeNads, Home Despot, or bLowes if it were under $200.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairmanJack View Post
Why would you do that though? I have circular saws and a makita tracksaw. That makita is safer and smoother than any circ saw I've ever used. It has an plunge capability, better angle control, and a better enclosure and dust collection and generally runs like a dream. I'll probably never use a circa saw for anything but cross-cutting notches again.

Even at $400, the Makita was one of the best small tool investments I've ever made. I like being clever with my tools, but sometimes a better tool is better than all the cleverness you can conceive. I'd definitely consider a similar tool from from MeNads, Home Despot, or bLowes if it were under $200.
You dont happen to know the size of the dust port do you? I think its metric, nothing I have fits without tape, Id really like bag dust catcher like on a sander, cause I find the hose gets snagged a bit

Dave H
post #9 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 PM

Here I just looked up the Menards masterforce kit.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/p...9990860634.htm

Much better deal then my Makita, I saw it in the store the other day, and the cut depth scale is in SAE instead of Metric, which to me is a huge plus.

Comes with 110” worth of track.

If I knew this was available before I bought the Makita, Id definitely give it a go. Just get the offered replacement plan, and you’d still be money way ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #10 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
You dont happen to know the size of the dust port do you? I think its metric, nothing I have fits without tape, Id really like bag dust catcher like on a sander, cause I find the hose gets snagged a bit

I can check in the AM. I was able to get a rubber fitting and long hose that was advertised as fitting the Makita on Amazon.com, but I can't seem to find the record my hose purchase. It does worked great for dust collection - basically a 1" tube with rubber fittings on each end. It's near-about 1.25" but I can get more accurate. I've gone to Rockler and Woodcraft for most of must dust collection needs since then. If you;ve got one nearby you should be able to get something serviceable.

This is the Makita I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000...st_sto_dp&th=1.
I got a better price in 2017. I also got the extra track and connectors for ripping 8' stock. Easily one of the best investments I've ever made. I wouldn't screw-around trying to jury rig something. It was worth every cent.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairmanJack View Post
I can check in the AM. I was able to get a rubber fitting and long hose that was advertised as fitting the Makita on Amazon.com, but I can't seem to find the record my hose purchase. It does worked great for dust collection - basically a 1" tube with rubber fittings on each end. It's near-about 1.25" but I can get more accurate. I've gone to Rockler and Woodcraft for most of must dust collection needs since then. If you;ve got one nearby you should be able to get something serviceable.

This is the Makita I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000...st_sto_dp&th=1.
I got a better price in 2017. I also got the extra track and connectors for ripping 8' stock. Easily one of the best investments I've ever made. I wouldn't screw-around trying to jury rig something. It was worth every cent.

I got laid away pretty good

I got the makita kit with the 55” track, then thought I wanted the long track but did not want to splice it together. So I bought the 110” or whatever it is also. But I have yet to use the long track. I think I paid almost 900 or something stupid out the door.

Im glad I have it, but do wish I would have found the more reasonable priced kit. Mainly cause I could have spent the difference on a whole slew of other things.

I use an 1 1/4 hose from a shop vac that I connect to my DC, but at the saw itself, I have to cobble it in place with duct tape. I could probably use a rubber mission coupling to make that connection better; I just found myself annoyed that none of my “universal” vacuum port adaptors fit.

I did find that makita makes a dust bag for it. Which I think may be the same as the belt sander I have.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/122562-9

I hope it is the same, Im gonna check tomorrow

Sorry for Hijacking the thread.

Dave H
post #12 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I found this video that nicely describes what I'm thinking of.

Check out the guy's chop saw set yup at 1:29

It goes by quick, but it's cool. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I found this video that describes what I had in mind.

BTW, check out his miter saw set up at bout 1:29 in the video.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I found this video that describes what I had in mind.

BTW, check out his miter saw set up at bout 1:29 in the video.

DIY Track Saw Adapter Plate - YouTube

I knew what you were after.

That is a pretty cool mitre saw device the guy has. Ive never seen that either.

Dave H
post #15 of 15 Old 06-28-2020, 12:41 PM

Sorry for the delayed response, the flex hose is 1-1/4" and the rubber fitting is 1-1/4 inner diameter. It's actually a little too small, but b/c it's rubber, it stretches and fits over the Makita's metric dust outlet nice and snug. It's also threaded on the other end to connect tightly with the 1-1/4 hose.

I think the fitting came with mt hose kit. I didn't see any when I was at the local Woodcraft store on Friday - but they may have just been out of stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode