Fasten bumper to granite counter top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

View RichO's Photo Album My Photos
Fasten bumper to granite counter top

Hey all,

This is more of a general cabinetry question than woodworking.... not exactly sure what forum to post in.

I am installing an upper cabinet on top of a granite counter top. The cabinet has bi-fold sliding pocket style doors and with the kit comes plastic bumpers as guides for the doors as you slide them back. The bumpers need to be fastened to the counter top.

Now should I just use a blob of silicone or am I better off drilling a hole in the granite and using a screw fastener, which is what the bumper is meant for. If I want to drill should I use a Tapcon or some other kind of screw, and what kind of drill bit works best on granite? Everything I find searching online is about cutting holes in granite.

Thanks

Last edited by RichO; 07-19-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-19-2016, 10:57 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Need a little more info on how the door works. If it's a pair of bi-fold doors normally the bumper goes on the edges of the doors coming together. If it's a single pair normally the bumper goes on the opposite jamb. I'm having difficulty understanding how the bumper would go on the counter. Personally I wouldn't want anything on the counter.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

It's an Accuride 1332.

https://www.accuride.com/en-us/produ...2-cable-system

The bumper is to keep the door from swinging inward when you are sliding it back into the cabinet. They seem to use something now called a "Pivot block" instead of the bumper but this did not come with the kit I bought months ago but if you look at the mounting diagram in the PDF (page 5 figure 11( you will see that it mounts to the counter top.

https://www.accuride.com/media/2112/...32-r8-0509.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 PM

What most of us do on a cabinet like that is make a cabinet inside of a cabinet so the pocket doors can disappear on each side. The inner cabinet then has a top that hangs down low enough the doors can close against. In this way the counter is left free and open.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-20-2016, 05:31 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Wow.. The title kind of had me picturing something completely different..a car bumper and a granite countertop which to be honest didn't really connect mentally.. I probably wouldn't drill into granite either. I've got some similar type of hardware from an old entertainment POS I took apart I think.. The doors open and slide back into the sides? Kind of a hinged bearing sliding door contraption? I still have them and the doors if anyone can think of a practical use for them other than taking up space in the shed..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I finally got over there to get a photo. This is an existing cabinet in their house with the exact same sliding door hardware and bi-fold doors. I am basically copying this design in a kitchen cabinet. You can see how this bumper is used as a guide. Easy to do with a wood top but not so much with granite. Will silicone stick to the polished side of granite?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichO View Post
I finally got over there to get a photo. This is an existing cabinet in their house with the exact same sliding door hardware and bi-fold doors. I am basically copying this design in a kitchen cabinet. You can see how this bumper is used as a guide. Easy to do with a wood top but not so much with granite. Will silicone stick to the polished side of granite?
I know silicone caulk will stick to marble, the hotel I work at does that to install under mount sink in the bathrooms, and it takes a sledgehammer to, er, 'uninstall' them. I'd wager it'd work on granite just as well

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I would not drill in the granite counter top.
Silicon or some other fixative.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-23-2016, 12:29 AM

Any attempt to use any kind of adhesive on that guide roller will be a never ending repair job. There will have to be a hole drilled and an anchor inserted to have any permanence. I thought you meant a stop button in the center. That is something I would do above.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Until I looked closer I did not realize it was an actual roller. I thought it was a stationary bumper but I just looked at the part and it does spin. I guess mounting it to the top rail of the cabinet will serve the same purpose.

Thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 09-26-2016, 09:07 AM

View Tmulhern's Photo Album My Photos
You will find a lot of advice here but i strongly recommend you to have a expert look into it.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-26-2016, 03:14 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would make the cabinet with a bottom and not have the sides directly sitting on the counter top.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode