Farmhouse Table (amateur builder) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

View MichaelR's Photo Album My Photos
Farmhouse Table (amateur builder)

I intend to build a large farmhouse for my large family. My wife and I currently have 6 young children (3 biological and 3 foster). I know this thing will take some abuse so it does not have to be a masterpiece, just decent looking, strong, and functional. I am good at working with my hands as I do all my own mechanical work and I have done some construction but have never built anything like this before, so I'm hoping I can bounce some things off you folks and get some feedback. I don't know all the proper terms that I see written around these forums so keep in mind that I don't exactly speak your language, but I'm learning. Any help would be deeply appreciated!

My wife found these plans and I've been studying them for quite a while. I am looking to build it 10'x4' so that we can seat 12; 4 along each side and 2 on the ends.

With such a long table, I am concerned that 2x4s won't be strong enough for the side aprons, but am also concerned that providing adequate leg room under a 2x6 would make the top too high. Should I just double up the 2x4s? Will a single be strong enough to keep it from bowing?

I'm thinking about deviating from these plans when it comes to attaching the legs. The plans have them built into the apron, but I'm thinking about making the apron separate and having the legs screw into it. I don't plan on moving within the next 5 years, but I would still like to think ahead in that way. In addition, the way the plans have this thing set up I would have to build it in my dining room as opposed to building in the garage and assembling in the dining room. Would it be adequate to screw through the apron and into the legs?

The only stores near me are the typical Ace Hardware and Lowes, and although I know many of you would cringe, I'm not really worried about using construction grade lumber for the apron/legs. I don't know of any other place to buy furniture quality lumber from and don't have the time to drive a long way to get any. On top of that, I'm trying to keep this project to a minimal cost.

With that in mind, Lowes has some nice red oak planks that I was going to use for the tabletop. They seem harder than pine and my wife and I like the grain. They have 1'x6'x10' pieces. Is 1" going to be thick enough? As for joining them together, I have read about using biscuits to glue them together but the thought of making a long cut down the center of that board makes me nervous! Is it safe to do this and expect good results? Would a table saw be ideal or should I use a router? I've recently started thinking about avoiding the biscuits and instead buying a router table to make a tongue and groove cut. This seems like it would be a better option to get a consistent result and I'm ok with spending the money on a router table, but I'm open to alternatives.

I keep reading about wood expansion and don't want to screw up in this area. Would I run into problems with that top by doing a tongue/groove and gluing it together? Will it be safe to attach the top by screwing through the under tabletop supports into the tabletop?

I would like to do breadboard ends. Is it safe to use a tongue and groove fit for the breadboard and glue it in? Actually, as I'm typing this it seems like I'm remembering a video where a guy was talking about wood expansion and not using glue. I've seen people drill holes through the breadboard and screw it into the ends of the tabletop but this terrifies me with just a 1" thick board. If I just made the apron long enough to support the breadboard would I have to worry about getting fancy with attaching it? What are my options here?

After the tabletop is glued together I've got a hand planer and a belt sander to make it smooth, and I will do my best, but again, we aren't looking for showroom quality.

I'm not sure what type of finish to put on it. I've used polyurethane to finish bedroom furniture but I'm not sure about using that for this project. My fear it would get scratched up and look terrible. I'm not so much worried about scratches and nicks in the wood itself, we have 6 young children for goodness sake and that's why I'm more concerned about function over form because I know it will take some abuse. Our bedroom furniture has a high gloss finish so it seems like that would just get scratched and dull, but maybe I should consider a polyurethane that isn't so glossy?

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM

View fincal's Photo Album My Photos
MichaelR
Have you completed this with the 1x tabletop? I have the legs completed and temporarily attached 12 1x6 pine as a tabletop (needed a large table in a hurry) and am thinking of using 4 1x12 as a final product. I don't need the 9' length and was thinking of reducint to 8' and removing the center leg...but then how do I support the top so it does not bow? Do I switch to 2x12?

Any suggestions you could share would be great...
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
there's a bunch of issues here

The biggest is that a Oak1"x 6' or 8" or 10" from Lowes will only be 3/4" thick. I would avoid mixing construction lumber,... Pine, Fir or Spruce with Oak, but that's just me. I would rip the 1 x 6 in half and glue them together to form an apron that's 1 1/2" thick X 2 3/4" wide. For a 4' X 8' table I'd run a laminated rib or 2 down the center.

You can inset the legs into the corners of the apron and screw them in the outside Or the inside if you don't want the screws to show. A beefy leg like 3" square or 4" square would be best, again just my opinion. There are ways to brace the corners and legs....metal hardware or wood.

You should do as much research as possible on the joinery in the legs and corners, even make a few actual size mockups before going to the final construction.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

View MichaelR's Photo Album My Photos
I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to respond, been out of town and now am in the hospital for my wife to have emergency surgery, so sickness has been kicking us for a couple weeks.

Anyhow, I did build the table, it is massive, it turned out far batter than I ever hoped for, but I used cheap construction grade 2x lumber for the whole thing as opposed to using the thinner finished wood. I had to find a way to mill the boards down so that they fit together flush, then lots of planing and sanding but I achieved a beautiful (for me) solid 9' tabletop. I didn't use a 5th leg in the center. I used 2x4 for the apron then cheated and put angle iron on the inside of the long apron sides. It is hidden from view. In hindsight I'm not sure that was necessary because the top and apron are quite rigid, but I still feel good knowing it's there. I'm obviously not a pro, just a dad of a large family who needed a functional table that we wouldn't be ashamed of! Mission accomplished. We still love sitting at it and looking at it. I'll post pictures when we get home from the hospital.
The Following User Says Thank You to MichaelR For This Useful Post:
Alchymist (08-07-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode