farm table construction advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
tws

View tws's Photo Album My Photos
farm table construction advice

greetings wood workers,

i am trying to build a farm/parsons table and need advice on securing wood the right type and plans. since i dont have a wood shop im considering having the lumber milled into a kit and assembling it at home if such a thing is possible.

ive frequented craigslist for a long time and not found the particular dimensions i need 30 high by 5 1/2 long by 30 wide. this table will function as a bread dough kneading and meat cutting table and needs to be stout, as it will also be the platform of several heavy appliances. i intend to season it with food grade mineral oil.

i would like a hard wood maybe oak or some other dense grain wood but would welcome advice on wood choice for this project.

here are some pictures of the specific design i need.

i would prefer the top to be one solid piece achieved by titebonding the top planks together. the joinery for the 44 legs is unclear but somewhere there must be a classic joinery plan for this type table.

i should think the minimum plank thickness for the table top should be no less than two inches. if i could get the lumber i may be able to hire a local carpenter with the necessary tools to glue and clamp the table top and mill the rest in a form and fashion that i may be able to assemble it at home. because ive been looking so long and am otherwise unable to find exactly what i want locally or online i thought to solicit this forum in hopes of getting some feedback as to what the lumber may cost and a carpenters fee to mill all the parts of this table.

thanks for your input.

tws
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Oak would not be a good choice given the intended use...unless you will use a grain filler. The reason is Oak is an open-grain wood and since you plan to use it for food preparation, the open grain can harbor bacteria and such. A better choice would be maple or maybe fir (not sure what part of the country you are in, so some woods are more plentiful than others).

Traditionally, tables are made with the legs and skirt as one piece, then the table is secured using one of several methods, but one that will allow the wood to expand and contract across the width of the grain.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Delta DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra router table | Grizzly G1023RL
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 08:56 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Two inches thick is going to be heavy!
Here is a table I built for a lady that wanted a new table top. Heavy even for two people to pick up and carry. It is about 1 5/8 inch x 39 x 65 or somewhere thereabouts. I forgot the exact dimensions.

Made using 8/4 hard maple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table 01.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	179313  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What you want is a cabinet shop to make a table for you and not do final assembly. If you can find someone to do that it will probably be almost as expensive as having them do the complete job.

There is no "mill" that would do that type of job.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
here's the top

Just use this for the top and have some legs made or use some of the stands from Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mapl...-2-1-4-/T21250

legs:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Supe...g-System/D2910

more:
http://www.hammersmith.com.au/latest...zes_and_Styles

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 09:45 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Buy this bench and just plug the dog holes. :-)
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4...nch-69054.html
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
tws

View tws's Photo Album My Photos
thanks everyone... great solutions...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode