Face frame finishing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
Face frame finishing

Looking for thoughts as to if its better to finish before you attach the face frame to carcasses or after its been attached. I've always finished after with fear of me dinging / marring the frame during glue up. But I realize that I'm taking a lot of time and some money taping and wrapping the carcass to protect from overspray. But if I did it the other way I'd spend more time fixing a problem if it arose. What do you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The only thing I do is stain the inside edges of the faceframe prior to attaching them to the boxes. I normally leave the inside of a cabinet natural in color and don't stain the inside so I just stain the edges to keep from getting stain on the boxes. I don't even sand the face frames until the cabinet is completed. Then I stain the exterior and when dry clearcoat the inside and outside together. You can eliminate a lot of the overspray clearcoating cabinets using a airless sprayer or a conventional sprayer with a pressure pot. These two rigs don't atomize the finish as much so the overspray is not too much an issue. Personally I prefer a pressure pot. I have problems with runs using an airless.
"
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 AM

View MrSlurpee's Photo Album My Photos
I pretty much always stain after. Anytime you try to take shortcuts from doing things the right way, it usually ends in disaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. I felt like I was doing it the best way.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM

View Deanr's Photo Album My Photos
I use prefinished plywood for my carcass. Usually on projects I like to save finish for the end but for face frames I think it is alot easier to finish before assembly. Once FF is finished I attach to the carcass and then install the doors which have also been prefinished.
It just seems logical and simple for me to break the cabinet into separate components.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM

View clpead's Photo Album My Photos
Does the finish on the faceframe inhibit mounting it to the carcass with glue?

Aaron Davies
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I use the prefinished ply 95% of the time. My only fear of doing the finishing first is that If for done chance I pulled it out of whack while clamping it to the carcass, that I'd end up with more work in the long run. I don't use pocket screws. It's a matter of me weighing the plus sides vs down sides. Wanted to weigh out both.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I spray the inside of the carcass parts before assembling, masking the dados with painters tape. All I do to the FF before installing it is sand the inside edges of the openings. True it is a pain to mask off openings when finishing, but produces a much better finished cabinet, IMO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode