Exterior plywood use - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 35015

post #1 of 2 Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

View Norma Christie-Coney's Photo Album My Photos
Question Exterior plywood use

I am new to this site, but need help. I have a porch floor that is doug fir plank and the maintenance of sanding & staining is no longer possible for me to do due to injury. I would like to use a nice quality indoor / outdoor over the top. It was advised to use exterior plywood first, so the spaces between the planks will not show. The porch is covered, but the edges still get wet. Should the plywood be treated, covered with EPDM, or ??? to have a job that lasts? Or is it OK as is? I am leery of this horizontal application. Thanks for your help on this, I will check back later today.
I should add that the doug fir is elevated over a concrete porch so it has air space underneath [from the framing it is attached to] and no soil contact. I would take it down to the concrete, but that would cause other problems due to the change in height [several inches].

Last edited by Norma Christie-Coney; 06-07-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Norma,

Without a thorough set of photos (and an actual site visit) giving really good advice for such a complex query as yours is ill advised as there are quite a few mitigating items to better understand that could effect all manner of reply and their effect.

In general, if going down the route you intend (not recommend by the practices and methods I use)...PT Plywood is very much advised. However, this can very easily trap interstitial moisture in the subordinate frame structure of the porch now being covered by the PT Plywood and Carpet to create much bigger issues down the road in the realm of decay that is not easily seen or repairable...

I can say, in my experience, all forms of wall to wall carpet and other.."cover overs" on decks and porches always have led to rot and lose of structure to some various degree down the road...Sometimes even up into the house frame itself from migrating moisture issues...

I would ask if the advice received is also coming from a source trying to sell a product or service...If it is, then it is probably advise to take as having a clear and not overly helpful agenda...Too often Sales People and GC will give a potential client the answers they want to hear to make a sale or sell a service...NOT, the advise that is in the best interest of the architecture.

If the work you wish done is meant to only last a short while and there is no concern with some of the issues mentioned, then by all means get the PT Plywood and Carpet. It should stay serviceable for at least 10 years.
Catpower likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode