extension cords - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

View David Huss's Photo Album My Photos
extension cords

Does anyone know if it's safe to make a 220V 30 amp extension cord for my tablesaw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 PM

View Tom King's Photo Album My Photos
I've used several of them for 35 years. I made mine out of type SO wire with Hubbell twist lock ends of the correct amperage. Not exactly cheap, but I don't know how much less I would feel comfortable with. I have some that are 8/3, some that are 10/3, and some for 110 out of 12/3. I'm even still using some of them that are that old. I've replaced some ends, but wire is still good.

Some that stayed out in the weather, coming from temporary poles, have not lasted that long, but all that were only used inside are still good.

Solder the ends of the wire to make them solid with Rosin Core Solder, so that the lugs in the plugs have something good to tighten against, rather than just twisted up stranded wire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom King For This Useful Post:
David Huss (04-01-2014)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 AM

View Noek's Photo Album My Photos
My electrician made me a cord for my band saw when he ran my 220 outlet in the garage.

As a matter of fact, it was his idea based on how I explained I was going to use the outlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 06:32 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Huss View Post
Does anyone know if it's safe to make a 220V 30 amp extension cord for my tablesaw?
Well, the safety nazi's don't like 220V extension cords but I would do it. Really, what is the difference between the cord on the saw and an extention to the wall where the power is. As far as safety, a lot depends on how the cord is used, whether it's running in a out of the way place or across the middle of the floor where it is walked on. The 30 amp cord would be more than heavy enough it wouldn't generate any heat from use with the table saw.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would consult with an electrician that had the opportunity to see your panel, evaluate the distance from the panel to the outlet to be used, and length and type of cord to use, based on all the information. If you are capable, and with the professional advice, make up the cord.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
the best solution to your problem (short power cord) is to replace your existing power cord with a longer one. it will likly be cheaper, as you will not have to buy two more $$ connectors. how many feet are you adding?

Last edited by TimPa; 04-02-2014 at 07:10 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Huss View Post
30 amp at 220 volts?

That is one powerful table saw for home use. Or is it commercial.?

220 volt extension cord components are expensive. I know, I made one for my portable generator.

George
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 07:30 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
the best solution to your problem (short power cord) is to replace your existing power cord with a longer one. it will likly be cheaper, as you will not have to buy two more $$ connectors. how many feet are you adding?
Good suggestion.

George
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
No Longer Here

View Miller Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
You certainly can make 220v extension cords. An extension cord is basically the same wire you'd use in the walls of your house, except stranded so it's more flexible. A solid 8/3 doesn't roll up too well. Right now, I have an extension cord that I made for my welding machine. It's a solid 10/3 with ground and works great. I used that wire because it's left over wire from running an outlet for my table saw and band saw. It was quick, easy, and sufficient for the amperage.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM

View jbwhitford's Photo Album My Photos
I use a 220v 20 amp extension cord for my planer and it works perfectly.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM

View BrandonD's Photo Album My Photos
If you plan on keeping your tools where they're at, I'd consider replacing the cord on them with a longer one to the length you need. My 220V planer and jointer are in the middle of my shop. I replaced their cords with longer SO cable and have the cords running up to the ceiling, across the ceiling and down the wall to the receptacles. This method provides a cleaner install and generally cheaper as you don't have to purchase a female receptacle for the cord, nor a male plug if you can reuse the current one on the tool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode