Ever use a Bench Hook? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Ever use a Bench Hook?

The use of a Bench Hook has been in existence for thousands of years.
I usually build my jigs as I need them and today I needed a Bench Hook. Itís a good Idea to make two of them. One long and one short. Itís a lot quicker and easier than clamps in certain situations
I couldnít show a belt sander in use because I donít own one yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Hook 1.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5266  

Name:	Bench Hook 2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	5267  

Name:	Bench Hook 3.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	5268  

Name:	Bench Hook 4.jpg
Views:	1438
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	5269  

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 AM

View goingenoan's Photo Album My Photos
I like your bench hook. Would you be able to show a picture or diagram of a bench hook for hand planing miters. I remember once seeing one of these in a book or magazine but now I can't find it and it has been in the back of my mind to follow up and see if I could find an example to copy and your thread comes pretty close.

post #3 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The use of a Bench Hook has been in existence for thousands of years.
I usually build my jigs as I need them and today I needed a Bench Hook. Itís a good Idea to make two of them. One long and one short. Itís a lot quicker and easier than clamps in certain situations
I couldnít show a belt sander in use because I donít own one yet

It's an interesting jig, shows some planning. As for it being used for thousands of years, I'd like to see some data on that. I can see it would have limited use as there aren't many procedures that require a stop for a "push" operation. Bench dogs (if you have them) usually can arrange a stop where needed. It may be good for chiseling out a dado, or some hand planing for short pieces.

Since you don't have a belt sander, you may find that most belt sanding is done with the stop in the opposite direction. Good body physics in belt sanding is to have the sander in front of and in-line with the body and the belt action wants to drive the material towards you. With the weight and torgue of a belt sander, sanding sideways is an inordinate body position, as it places excessive stress on the lower back, shoulders, and wrists. To properly use one of those with a belt sander, it would have to catch on the opposite side of a very narrow bench that was low enough to lean over to sand the length of even short pieces.

I'm not knocking the jig. For some it may be very useful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Tony B I like it. I can think of a few uses for it. It would be great to hold a board while carving. Cabintman is right about the direction a belt sander turns, holding it the right way pulls the wood to you. However I have been known to lock the trigger (switch) and hold my beltsander from the front end to get a job done. I had used the fence on the table saw as a stop to hold the board in one place. Your bench hook would have done the trick had I thought of that first. You can't always play by the rules. Sometimes you have to be innovative in order to get the job done. And as long as you are doing it in a safe maner, who cares.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #5 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Belt Sanding on a Bench Hook

Cabinetman:
If you get the time, look up some Greek, Roman and Egyption art as well as early Eupopean art and when you see pictures of artisans, you will see a bench hook.
The Bench Hook can be used in both push and pull operations, depending on which side of the work table/bench you 'hook' it on.
I didn't have a belt sander to demonstrate, but if you look at the circular motion of the belt I sketched in on the last photo, you will notice that the direction of rotation will move your work from left to right. The photo shows the Bench Hook a little further away from the front edge of my table (your body position) than it would nomally be used in. Obviously most cant stretch that far. I am right handed.
As for the statement " Good body physics in belt sanding is to have the sander in front of and in-line with the body and the belt action wants to drive the material towards you." I have no idea what you are explaining here. Maybe we are both on the same page and just explaining it differently.
A Bench Hook" is merely a quick way of holding your work when you dont want to or cant use a vise or bench dogs. It's not the kind of jig that I use every day. But it is the best jig I have for belt sanding small pieces (when I get to buying a belt sander) or for chiseling.
When I make Bench Dogs for my work bench, I will use them also.
Tony B
Attached Images

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

BTW:
Please don't take me wrong, I welcome criticism. It just forces me to take more photo's and make more sketches. I am not trying to justify my position (well, maybe sometimes) as I am trying to get new ideas. If you have any improvements, please post them on here.
Someday I may write a book on woodworking. I am slowly starting to photo a lot more stuff. I lost my photo album in Hurricane Katrina. Now I store my photos on the internet.

Tony B

post #7 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
well well....looks like my scrap pile is going to get a little smaller today as I will definately throw a couple of these together.

thanks for the tip, Tony.

smitty
post #8 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I don't really have a use for one of these at the moment but I probably will in the future. I found a variation of this on-line. Check it out.
Ken
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2006/09/15/ws/
post #9 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Cabinetman:
If you get the time, look up some Greek, Roman and Egyption art as well as early Eupopean art and when you see pictures of artisans, you will see a bench hook.

I did a search and couldn't find any of those pictures you mentioned. They sound interesting, could you post them?

Quote:
As for the statement " Good body physics in belt sanding is to have the sander in front of and in-line with the body and the belt action wants to drive the material towards you." I have no idea what you are explaining here. Maybe we are both on the same page and just explaining it differently.

Tony B

Not really the same page. In using a belt sander, the action and direction of the belt is easiest to control if the sander is operated in front of the body with the direction of the belt in line with the body. IOW, sanding perpendicular to the body or offset to the body is very strenuous and presents difficulty in control. It's also best to sand close to the body so the arms aren't outstretched or with the body leaning too far forward, or to the side.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Guess I've been doing it wrong. I stand the same way the illustration shows. Regardless, the jig is a simple thing to build and has its uses.
Thanks for the post.

Never lick a steak knife.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Tony, thanks for the tip. I swear the simplicity of the jig is obvious but I probably wouldn't have come up with it in a million years. I think I too will make my scrap pile a little smaller.

John
post #12 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM

View chevyll_1967's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to chevyll_1967
Hey there Handyman your thought on using it while carving, it does work I have one and have utlized it while carving, but if going to use one for majority of the carvings I do then gonna have to make one little wider mines only 8" wide and some of the boards I use are 16-18" long and 10 -12 " wide so when rotating the wood to get in right position it's not wide enough tends to wabble.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Cabinetman

I didn't save the pictures of ancient art but take my word, they are out there. You havent looked hard enough or you wouldn't have quit so soon.

As for positioning with a belt sander, we all have different body geometry. I personally cannot lean forward over my work bench and belt sand 3 feet in front of me. Not to mention seeing what I am doing. I generally stand about 30* or less from parallel. The work is more or less to my side and the belt sander rests on the surface. All I do is guide the direction. It doesn't seem to tire me and I can get a good flat surface. I used to have a big heavy 4 x 24 PC sander which I will definately get another. It seemed to control itself other than wanting to take off like a rocket.
Either way, it shouldnt matter. Just hook it in on the opposite edge of your table from wher you stand and it should work the same way. I dont feel like making another sketch, but give it some thought and you will figure it out.

Tony B

Last edited by Tony B; 10-26-2008 at 11:02 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Tony B It looks like almost everyone likes the jig. If it where to be judged to go into the great hall of fame of jigs, it looks like it made it. This is why I like this forum so much. Sharing ideas makes life a little better for everyone. What works for one, my not work for everybody. But if it helps one person out, it was worth posting.
Thanks Handyman

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #15 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
Mine doubles as a work surface for the table saw,
and it has been to hell and back several times in
the last ten years.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8135/dscf0684lg8.jpg
post #16 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Kenbo's Link is a good one for a Corner Hook.

Here is another variation that can be used for Miters
Attached Images

Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode