Ever heard of this solvent?

Says it replaces Naphtha, Xylene, MEK

https://www.rockler.com/klean-strip-...promo=shopping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2020, 11:40 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
nope - not noticed it in my area.
(not to be confused with paint "thinner").

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2020, 12:38 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
MEK "substitute"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post

Yes - as I mentioned in another post on the same subject. I have a can, and just started using it for odd cleaning chores on metal.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
nope - not noticed it in my area.
(not to be confused with paint "thinner").

I've been having trouble finding Naphtha. This is what's being recommended as a substitute.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2020, 03:17 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I saw a can at Lowe's yesterday and wondered how it performs compared to MEK. Naphtha is still easy to get here so that's what I use.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 08:45 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Here is the MSDS:
http://go.rockler.com/msds/57567-kle...for-scaqmd.PDF

This is the essential information from the MSDS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klean Strip Painter's Solvent for SCAQMD
Acetone - 60 to 95 %
Methyl acetate - 5 to 25 %
Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) - 2 to 5 %

Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.
This is typical of the "new" solvents that are sold in the SCAQMD (Southern California Air Quality Management District). It is mostly acetone, which is highly volatile (evaporates too quickly).

No longer allowed are mineral spirits, MEK, naphtha, denatured alcohol, turpentine, Japan drier, lacquer thinner, and more. Those solvents are all banned in the SCAQMD. Furthermore, CARB (California Air Resources Board) banned more solvents over the last year, making the entire state more like the SCAQMD. (The SCAQMD is comprised of four counties in Southern California: Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino. Two nearby counties are NOT in the SCAQMD: San Diego and Ventura.)

I have not tried this particular "painter's thinner." I have heard the gripes of many local woodworkers about the new acetone-based solvents. I don't use solvents much, and still have some leftovers from the old days.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for that information. I was surprised to learn that acetone is lower on the VOC scale than naphtha. I've always thought of acetone as being nasty, nasty, nasty stuff whereas I see Naphtha as just nasty.

Based on a couple of reviews, the gripe against the painters solvent is that it dries too quickly for cleaning brushes.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 10:48 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thanks for that information. I was surprised to learn that acetone is lower on the VOC scale than naphtha. I've always thought of acetone as being nasty, nasty, nasty stuff whereas I see Naphtha as just nasty.

Based on a couple of reviews, the gripe against the painters solvent is that it dries too quickly for cleaning brushes.
That's the complaint I hear frequently. Acetone evaporates too quickly to be useful for the new products and applications where it is now expected to be used. Everyone tells me that acetone does not work nearly as well as the products it replaces, and no amount of wishful labeling fixes it.

Some of the banned solvents are not pollutants themselves, but they break down into pollutants when they are exposed to the sun's rays in the atmosphere. It is called a "photochemical reaction." Denatured alcohol is an example of a relatively benign solvent that might be okay on its own. Unfortunately, denatured alcohol breaks down into pollutants when sunlight hits it.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Somehow something that is intended to replace Naphtha, Xylene, MEK does not compute in my feeble mind.

MEK dissolves almost everything and has an incredibly low flash point. Incredibly nasty stuff, BTW.

I've used Xylene to dissolve the oil out of asphalt to verify oil content. We had a leak in the distiller one time but the resulting flame was almost nothing. I went down the hall to get a CO2 fire extinguisher rather than the dry chemical one. When the boss asked why, I told him that the CO2 wouldn't make a mess that the dry chemical would. He actually cried.

I've heard that Naphtha is good for thinning where a quicker dry is needed. DUNNO, I've not used it.

All three seem to have very different uses and formulations. To have one solvent to replace all three seems not possible. To my limited chemistry knowledge, high school 60+ years ago, I think that MEK is an organic while the others are not.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #10 of 11 Old 06-15-2020, 06:01 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Acetone has an image with me of being nasty, too, but it is nail polish remover and the MSDS reads that it isn't bad on your skin and your body makes it anyway!
post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2020, 06:13 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
In the UK solvents are controlled because they are "sniffed" by addicts. Glues ate also abused in this way.
johnep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode