Epoxy Gone Wrong - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By Zatara
  • 1 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

View Zatara's Photo Album My Photos
Epoxy Gone Wrong

So yesterday I started my first epoxy pour of any great quantity. All went well. I taped up the area and then secured it to a surface that should have allowed for no seepage. However, I forgot to brush some epoxy onto the surface to seal it up and avoid having the rest get sucked into the wood. (At least I think that's why you're supposed to do that.)

I got all the air bubbles out and it looked really good. Checked it every 10 minutes or so for a couple hours until nu bubbles appeared anymore. However, I did get some leakage. I expected a little but the cavity I filled is now only half full. I am out of epoxy, due to poor estimation of the volume required. As far as I know there is no one local who carries it so I have to order.

So here's the question. Can I pour new epoxy onto dried and cured epoxy? If so is there any prep to the cured surface before pouring? And is it necessary to use the same brand for the second pour?

Name:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  412.3 KB

Last edited by difalkner; 10-20-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: show photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
there are hundreds of different types of epoxy. and each one has
its own characteristics. my very personal suggestion would be to call
the manufacturer of the brand and type you have and discuss your options
with them. (you have too much invested at this point to get some bad advice).
looking good so far - don't get discouraged - and don't rush it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	379907  

Tony B, hawkeye10 and NoThankyou like this.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #3 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
You should be able to pour a new layer of epoxy, but you'll want to make sure that you completely wait out the curing period for the first layer. For most epoxies that I know of, that's about 1 week until you can put something over it, but consult the literature for your particular epoxy to double check. I'd also recommend scuff sanding the old layer with some 220 grit sandpaper, just to give the new layer something to bite to

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
there are hundreds of different types of epoxy. and each one has
its own characteristics. my very personal suggestion would be to call
the manufacturer of the brand and type you have and discuss your options
with them. (you have too much invested at this point to get some bad advice).
looking good so far - don't get discouraged - and don't rush it.
John is giving the best advice possible. i.e. Ask the experts.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
The Following User Says Thank You to NoThankyou For This Useful Post:
Onefreetexan (10-20-2019)
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I will get in touch and see what they say. This one is definitely a learning process. I have to go on the road for work again for a few days so the cure time will be good until I get home. Made a mess of my work bench. I guess I was planning to build a new one anyway so there's my excuse.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I have done several large pour epoxy projects. You can for sure repour over existing layers, in fact I have found that is the only way it seems to work. I can never get one pour to be enough, it is usually 3 pours. My favorite epoxy for large pours is Liquid Diamonds or similar. You can generally do another pour in 24 hours. If you wait much longer you MUST scuff the surface or it won't bond properly...trust me on that one. I have used different (although similar) epoxies over each other with acceptable results.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Delta DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra router table | Grizzly G1023RL
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I emailed the folks at eco poxy and got an answer. Just scuff it with 220 then wipe up the dust and good to go. Its going to be at least a week before I can do the next pour so it will be fully set before I get to it, otherwise I could do as Chikn says and pour over the tacky surface.

Also checked dealers for the epoxy and turns out its quite a drive to the closest place carrying the brand. Gonna stick with same brand so as not to cause any unfortunate interactions.

THanks all.
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quick explanation on the "wait a week before pouring" thing, if anybody is curious. Epoxy has a recoat window where the individual layers will kinda meld together to form one thick layer, kinda like how lacquer works. The original layer will have slightly cured, but no so much that it cant cross-link with the newly poured stuff. After that recoat window though, the linking in the first later is pretty much done with and now the epoxy is just in its final curing stage where its mostly just putting off heat and gas while reaching its final form.

While its in that final cure, if you try to put anything else on top of it itll cause all sorts of issues. The next layer wont stick, or offgassing from the first layer will cause bubbles, or shrinking in the first layer will cause the second to crack. Once the first layer has fully cured you wont have to worry about that, but the adhesion of the second layer is an entirely mechanical bond, which is why you need to sand the first layer surface. A smooth, glossy surface is hard to adhere to, a matte, scratched surface is easy.
Zatara likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode