Epoxy or Glue? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

View GrainControl's Photo Album My Photos
Epoxy or Glue?

Hey all,

I have a few questions i was hoping to get some advise on. Im trying to expand my production process to save material and i am running into some curve balls.

Before i was laminating five 1/4" sheets together with epoxy and a sheet of fiberglass on the bottom all in a pneumatic press. after that i would spoon out the excess wood till i got my desired shape.

Now i am attempting it with two sheets at the bottom then glueing on pre- cut pieces to try to limit the amount of cutting i have to do.

The problem i am having is the 1/4" wood is overpowering the epoxy joint and taking the bend out of it. Almost flattens it out.

Is there a stronger glue for laminating wood?

I have been using west system and it has worked good up to this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For laminating small pieces of wood, common wood glue would be better. On larger sheets a resin glue would be a better choice. On large sheets wood glue tends to dry around the edges and stay wet in the center for a very long time. I worked for a guy one time that glued 4x8 sheets together and let it dry over a weekend. Then Monday morning proceeded to cut the sheets into small parts only to have the pieces fall apart with the glue as wet as if it were just applied. The other glue up was allowed to dry to the next week before it was cut and it also fell apart being only slightly drier. I bet it would have taken a couple of months for the glue to completely dry. Resin glue will bond wood very well and once mixed it would dry sealed up in a airtight container. Epoxy is a better adhesive on non-porous materials like your fiberglass.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
mark_f (11-12-2015), Tony B (01-31-2016), Toolman50 (02-01-2016)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2016, 03:06 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to also consider that Epoxy has an initial cure time and final cure time. Sometimes the initial cure may only be 20 minutes but the final cure might be 20 days. Under normal conditions, like in furniture repair, the epoxy would be good enough to work in 24 hours even though the final cure time has not been met yet. A 1/4" thick ply or veneer can be under a lot of stress depending on the curvature. Enough to give some or even break loose before the final cure time and lose your bend.
I agree with Steve that wood glue might be the better choice.

I used to make curved wooden combat shields for a Renaissance Group (SCA). I used 3 layers of 1/4" Luan which is slightly less than 1/4 " each. I would glue two plies together with titebond in a mold of sorts, the next day I would add the 3rd ply, also with titebond. Never had a problem. These shields saw a lot of combat with very large men using very hard rattan swords.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
You can't substitute epoxy for glue, they are not the same. Standard woodworking glues are not the correct glue to use for laminating because you will get "glue creep". Plastic resin is the glue folks use for laminations. You can order it at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dap-00204-...-Glue/20371043
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Has anyone ever ordered anything from walmart.com and actually got the order. We have made three orders now and have not gotten the product. The last order Dec 15, 2015 is still in processing.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2016, 11:52 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Has anyone ever ordered anything from walmart.com and actually got the order.,,,,,,,.
YES.
The first time I ordered directly through Walmart and was for store delivery. Picked item up in about 4 days.

2nd time, I ordered through Walmart website but item was directly from manufacturer. Then sent me the shipping info over the web, but only after a a week or so. Then came the real tracking info about a week later. By the beginning of the 4th week, I finally got the item via. home delivery.

I suggest you give Wally-world a call.

Good Luck

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #7 of 7 Old 02-01-2016, 07:03 PM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, I often order 5-30 Mobil One the day before I go to pick it up. It sounds silly but they are often out of the 5-30 while having shelves loaded with the less common weights. They have never failed me with in store pickup orders.

It's one of those head shakers... I've talked to the manager and he acknowledges they always seem to be out of the 5-30 but can't seem to move some of the others. I asked why he didn't triple the 5-30 stock and cut the other at least in half. Blamed it on policy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode