End Grain cutting board question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
End Grain cutting board question

I am planning on making four cutting boards for Christmas gifts. My plan is to make them 12"x15"x1 1/2" and use either a Maple/Walnut or a Apple/Cherry combination with a checkerboard pattern. I was thinking my sqares would be 1 1/2"x1 1/2". I have a supplier locally where I am thinking I can get a couple of boards milled 2"x7" true. I am hoping to get each species in 6' lengths.

Provided the lumber is good throughout, are these numbers good or am I missing something here? I am trying to plan this to allow for waste due to cutting and allowing for any additional milling that I may need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 PM

View fishmonger's Photo Album My Photos
I could be mistaken but I thought that the oil in fruit wood was poisonous as a food contact surface
post #3 of 5 Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 PM

View Fbranco's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I am planning on making four cutting boards for Christmas gifts. My plan is to make them 12"x15"x1 1/2" and use either a Maple/Walnut or a Apple/Cherry combination with a checkerboard pattern. I was thinking my sqares would be 1 1/2"x1 1/2". I have a supplier locally where I am thinking I can get a couple of boards milled 2"x7" true. I am hoping to get each species in 6' lengths.

Provided the lumber is good throughout, are these numbers good or am I missing something here? I am trying to plan this to allow for waste due to cutting and allowing for any additional milling that I may need.
If you want to go the checkered board route there's a video and a PDF document ( 3rd link ) on the woodwhisperer site that may answer your questions.

For a more random look there's this article on the woodwiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I could be mistaken but I thought that the oil in fruit wood was poisonous as a food contact surface
Walnut/cherry/maple combination have been used to make cutting boards for ever. Walnut shavings are indeed poisonous to horses and should not be used as bedding material. Also they should not be used in flower beds or be composted because it contains a chemical that stunts the growth of plants. But I have never heard of people having adverse reactions to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

Thank you for the tips. I went out yesterday and picked out a an 8' slab of maple and a thinner 8' slab of jatoba for less than $100. I think I scored a pretty good deal on that. Today I plan to glue up the Jatoba so I can get the thickness I need out of that.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

Thank you for the tips. I went out yesterday and picked out a an 8' slab of maple and a thinner 8' slab of jatoba for less than $100. I think I scored a pretty good deal on that. Today I plan to glue up the Jatoba so I can get the thickness I need out of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode