Woodworking Talk banner

Elaborate Cutting of Aluminum Sheet

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  zamboknee 
#1 ·
I need to do some ornate/smooth cuts of an aluminum sheet. It's the same as you see here.

Can someone give me an idea of how to make these cuts?

I used some tin snips to get the raw 12X12 sheet down to a smaller size but the snips don't allow for fine and smooth cutting.
Thanks

#2 ·
that link goes to a generic Home Depot page. (not helpful at all).
can you post a drawing or sketch of what you are wanting to do ??
and - what tools do you have access to ?
and how thick is the aluminum you want to cut.
there are many tools that people don't think of to cut thin aluminum.

#7 ·
Elaborate .........

Elaborate Cutting of Aluminum Sheet
That's the title, but what's that mean? Intricate? Fine details? A scroll saw will do all of that easily. Is sawing cutting ... who cares. Yes.
:smile2:

#5 ·
the link just shows a sheet of aluminum.
we really need to see a sketch or drawing of what you are making.
(and we promise not to tell your wife).

do you have access to tools such as a Dremel, Roto-Zip, router, etc ?
as mentioned above, thin alum sheet can be cut with a variety
of hand tools. . . . it just depends on your design and how flexible
you are to wrinkled cuts.

#12 ·
that's a nibbler ......

They aren't all that easy to control, especially when drill driven. If you want as precise control as possible, use a scroll saw. I would rough cut to within 1/4" of the lines first. Then final cut, then hand file the burr away. Use a thin backer wood to prevent distortion.

If all this seems like too much, get a quote from a laser cut service. :|

#13 · (Edited)
.032" aluminum is not all that thick for the bandsaw.
granted, it will take some filing to smooth the edges. but,
at least it will not be distorted. is the round design going to
be void in the middle like the number zero ? or just a round circle.

[I would be interested to know what the project is for]
does it has to be aluminum ? can it be another material that is
flat and easier to cut and paint it silver ???

#18 ·
Quickstep: the metal in your picture looks like galvanized steel
I agree with Quickstep: I wanted to mention it earlier but was not
sure if it was just the quality of the photo presented.
if a magnet sticks to it - it is galvanized steel.
meaning that now you have a much harder material to work with.
I would put this material aside and go get aluminum sheet at the Box Store.
and any of the tools mentioned above will work much better with less frustration.
how will the numbers be used ??

#26 ·
Can you describe what’s happening when you say it wouldn’t bite?

The blade package should tell how many teeth per inch it has. Too few teeth per inch and it will just catch on the metal and not cut. Also, and I almost hesitate to ask, do you have the teeth facing the right direction? You probably need at least 32 teeth per inch; more would be better.

I’ve cut all kinds of stuff with a coping saw, including stuff it really shouldn’t have cut.

#21 ·
many of us here have cut thin aluminum sheet on the bandsaw and scroll saw.
is it possible to use another material such as Plexi, Formica or other laminate ??
what will the numbers be used for ???? inside or outside use ?
will it be a polished metal finish or painted ?
will the numbers be free standing, hung on a wall, or on a birthday cake ??

#22 · (Edited)
Here’s a rough drawing I did a couple years ago. It’s essentially a wood card for wife on our 10th anniversary. I didn’t get to it back then but am trying to give it to her for our 12th.
Anyway, two wood pieces (roughly 10 x 10 inches each) with twine holding them together, an eye hook on each one for hanging and the ‘1’ on one piece, the ‘0’ in the other piece. Sheet metal screws holding the numbers down and eventually the wood will be painted and sanded to give it that ‘barnwood’ look.

#23 ·
My FIL was a Tool and Die maker. We were going to make something that required cutting aluminum sheet stock. Dad made the comment, "You don't cut aluminum, you shear it." I left the sheet stock with Dad and he took it into the shop the next week and trimmed it to the size needed.

I know, not what you wanted to hear.

#24 ·
My FIL was a Tool and Die maker. We were going to make something that required cutting aluminum sheet stock. Dad made the comment, "You don't cut aluminum, you shear it." I left the sheet stock with Dad and he took it into the shop the next week and trimmed it to the size needed.

I know, not what you wanted to hear.

Will this scroll saw do?

The aluminum is only .019 thick.

#28 ·
If my calculations are right the material is less than 1/32" thick, a clean cut with a saw will be very difficult, a set of aviation shears with straight, left and right jaws will allow you to cut the profile from different directions. I would not worry about any burr on the bottom if it is fastened to the wood. As I mentioned before some shears have serrated jaws, they cut tin better but are not desirable in your case.

If all else fails see if a sheet metal shop can cut it for you.

#32 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.