Dying leather - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-23-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Dying leather

I'm trying to restore an old trunk which the leather handles have long since rotted off. I purchased a couple handles today but the store only had leather colored handles instead of stained. I don't have time to order a actual leather stain and wondered is anyone had suggestions of improvising some way to make them black. I do have an alcohol based aniline dye stain but have never tried to stain leather before and don't know if that would do it or not and nothing to practice on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-23-2017, 12:38 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Some guitar builders I know use Feibings Leather Dye to dye wood and say itís alcohol based, so Iíd imagine if alcohol based leather dye can be used on wood, alcohol based wood dye can be used on leather. My only consideration would be that some black wood dyes have a purplish cast whereas the Feibings is dead black.

Hereís the MSDS for Feibingís.

https://lapco.co.nz/media/wysiwyg/MS...o-03122013.pdf
post #3 of 6 Old 12-23-2017, 02:12 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
Shoe polish or go to a nearby shoe repair shop-they should have leather dye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-23-2017, 02:20 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I'm trying to restore an old trunk which the leather handles have long since rotted off. I purchased a couple handles today but the store only had leather colored handles instead of stained. I don't have time to order a actual leather stain and wondered is anyone had suggestions of improvising some way to make them black. I do have an alcohol based aniline dye stain but have never tried to stain leather before and don't know if that would do it or not and nothing to practice on.
When in a pinch (and it works really well) if one of my leather projects in brain tan calls for dark colors of some form, just go to a art supply store, like Joanne Fabrics (or other source) and get some bottled pen ink of you choice. Soak, blot, dry and clean with alcholo. If you have some Neatsfoot oil (or like kind) treat leather with that, and coconut oil can work as well in a pinch. Note that black (when fresh) has a tendency to rub off in the beginning...

Good Luck,

P.S. I was just told that Wal Mart (Yick!!!) does sell black shoe dye for leather...It does work as well...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-23-2017, 07:24 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Go to a local shoe repair shop. They may be able to sell you what you want to point you in the right direction.

George

OOPS someone already said that.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I went to walmart this evening and couldn't find shoe dye. I did find some ink so will try that.

I don't know where I might find a shoe repair place in my area. I think I would have to make a 40 mile trip into dallas for that. At the moment I just don't have the time. The trunk had belong to one of my wife's family and she made comment a little more than a week ago the thing needed to be restored so I've been trying to do just that and have it ready on Monday. At the moment I just need to do a little touch up and put the handles on which I think I can do this evening and tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode