dyeing wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-25-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

View owlelope's Photo Album My Photos
dyeing wood

I am doing a segmented piece and I need to have several red segments. I am wondering if I could dye the pieces before gluing them in a ring. While turning would I go past where the dye soaked in? What kind of wood would dye the best?

My other option is to glue up the piece and turn it and then paint the segments I want red. I don't know if this would work or not.

i appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-25-2018, 08:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlelope View Post
I am doing a segmented piece and I need to have several red segments. I am wondering if I could dye the pieces before gluing them in a ring. While turning would I go past where the dye soaked in? What kind of wood would dye the best?

My other option is to glue up the piece and turn it and then paint the segments I want red. I don't know if this would work or not.

i appreciate any help.
An alcohol based dye stain is pretty penetrating. You might put a piece of wood in a jar of the stain for a week or so and then cut into it and see if it penetrated through. My instincts are that you would have to rig up a container made out of galvanized pipe and fill it with the dye with the wood in it and pressurize it for several hours before it would go through. You would first have to dry the moisture content of the wood as dry as you could first. It's kind of the process used in making pressure treated wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
13579 (12-26-2018)
post #3 of 7 Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
I painted this. You might be surprised how good your piece might look. This isn't perfect by any means. But I had to freehand all of it. And I've actually got a lot of good feedback on it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-25-2018, 10:18 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I tried getting dye into wood deep enough to turn it. It didnít work well. In some places it went in deep, but in others, it was just streaky.

Blood wood and red heart are pretty red, if red is what youíre after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E276AD79-16B6-4D9C-8C78-68546DDDD02C.jpg (223.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Quickstep; 12-25-2018 at 10:20 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 AM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
An alcohol based dye stain is pretty penetrating. You might put a piece of wood in a jar of the stain for a week or so and then cut into it and see if it penetrated through. My instincts are that you would have to rig up a container made out of galvanized pipe and fill it with the dye with the wood in it and pressurize it for several hours before it would go through. You would first have to dry the moisture content of the wood as dry as you could first. It's kind of the process used in making pressure treated wood.
One suggestion is to use dry wood ( less than 5%) then if small pieces, put in vacuum chamber with dipy solution. Don't recommend alcohol , just water. Pull vacuum and let set in vacuum for a couple hours. The vacuum dives the color though out the wood based on thickness. Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 12:16 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I recently turned some pens from padauk. Padauk is a kind of wood that comes from Africa. It has a strikingly bright orange/red color. The only problem with padauk is that the bright red color will fade to brown over time, especially if it is exposed to the sun.

The bright red pens in this photo are made from padauk. The reddish pens are bloodwood. The wood was sanded and then finished with either a shellac/wax friction polish (Crystal Coat), or CA glue (acrylic) polished with micro-mesh pads.

Here is the legend from left to right: purpleheart, purpleheart, purpleheart, bloodwood, mahogany, mahogany, padauk, padauk, olive, carob, olive, mahogany, cherry, hickory, bloodwood, bocote, wenge, cocobolo, purpleheart, padauk.

post #7 of 7 Old 12-26-2018, 12:56 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I am a gun lover also. I think it's a bad idea to put a gun rack on the wall. One day your friend Joe comes over to see your new gun rack and he leaves and goes over to his friend Bill and says you should see your gun rack. It is very pretty and he has some really nice rifles in it. Well, you get what I am saying. In two or three days the whole town knows you have a pretty gun rack and some nice rifles.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode