Dust Collector Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
Dust Collector Question

I am just now getting around to buying the machines I need to satisfy me. My question on DC's is one I haven't seen asked before. How dusty does the area around the actual DC get? The reason I ask is because I want to place the DC on the first floor of my garage, but my shop is on the second floor. Will the dust be everywhere on the first floor and get all over the cars? What if I have a one micron bag? Is the best place for DC outside?

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
TS,
If you get the one micron bag for the top, you shouldn't get much dust escaping. I get a little on the dust collector itself, but not around it. That's assuming you empty it before it fills up to the top of the top bag. Don't ask me how I know this can happen, I think I heard it from a friend of mine. And I heard it can happen more than once.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
1 micron bags

Where did you find them and how much. also want to follow this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 AM

View Norman Pyles's Photo Album My Photos
Penn State Industries has their 2hp dust collector on sale right now, for a crazy low price.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 AM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a link to that Penn State DC for anyone interested. I have to agree that that's a very good price for that unit.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Problem with the bag collectors is not the bag filtration size, but the actual seal between the bag and the collar. If that is leaking, which it more than likely will, then you will get some dust escaping.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
If it was me I'd keep the DC inside your shop area, you will get some dust from it, even if you went with canister filters theres bound to be a leak somewhere. Then theres the other issue of fresh air, if you suck the air out of the shop and into another room or outside you will need that much air coming into the shop from somewhere. In the winter time for me I need too keep the heat in, so my DC is in the shop, plus I have a Delta air fitration machine and a box fan with a filter on it close to where I'm working, especially if I'm sanding. But even with all that, I've been wearing my dust mask more often. I just can't handle a day of sawdust like I use too. I was dumb to it all for too many years and didn't want to bother with it.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
TS,
If you get the one micron bag for the top, you shouldn't get much dust escaping. I get a little on the dust collector itself, but not around it. That's assuming you empty it before it fills up to the top of the top bag. Don't ask me how I know this can happen, I think I heard it from a friend of mine. And I heard it can happen more than once.
Mike Hawkins
Sorry, don't mean to high jack this thread but do the one micron bags clog up faster than the standard bags? It just seems logical that the smaller pores would plug up faster. ???

Yeah, Mike, I 've heard that those things can fill up really fast, especially when using the planar. I think it was a friend of mine also that said that.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I put a large garbage can with one or those cyclone lids on it between my planer and my DC. It really saves a lot of time.
There doesn't seem to be very much dust around the bag so I would say you should be able to put your DC down by the cars Bud.
If it doesn't work out you can always move it later. Or, you could build a cabinet around it to contain any escaping dust.

Gerry
post #10 of 15 Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM

View BobbyfromHouston's Photo Album My Photos
I also use the trash can seperator. It works great. I prefer the lid with the connections built into it. My Delta has a 30 micron filter bag on top. The pores in the bag fill up and it seems to become a better filter to me. The new Delta DC's seem to be really nice, more sturdy and better designed.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
The cabinet around the DC is a good idea , but is a DC something you want totally closed in. Maybe doors that are fitted with fabric or even furnace filters for the escaping dust factor would be the way to go. That way you can still have air circulating around it for heat from the motor to prevent over heating if that is a concern with them.

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......
post #12 of 15 Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM

View Norman Pyles's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoguy View Post
Sorry, don't mean to high jack this thread but do the one micron bags clog up faster than the standard bags? It just seems logical that the smaller pores would plug up faster. ???

Yeah, Mike, I 've heard that those things can fill up really fast, especially when using the planar. I think it was a friend of mine also that said that.
I'm thinking that the 1 micron bags are becoming the standard bags on most collectors. Also they are alot thicker than the 30 micron, and have more openings for the air to escape.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjf0622 View Post
The cabinet around the DC is a good idea , but is a DC something you want totally closed in. Maybe doors that are fitted with fabric or even furnace filters for the escaping dust factor would be the way to go. That way you can still have air circulating around it for heat from the motor to prevent over heating if that is a concern with them.
Furnace filters or fabric is an excellent idea.

Gerry
post #14 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 AM

View ilo_ffo's Photo Album My Photos
This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time. http://www.thehardwarecity.com/
post #15 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilo_ffo View Post
This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time. http://www.thehardwarecity.com/
TROLL ALERT TROLL ALERT TROLL ALERT!!!

This clown has a sum total of three posts, and they all say the same thing (incorrectly and with poor grammar, I might add...)

Mr. Moderator? Give ilo_ffo the boot....I didn't join the forums to have to read commercials imbedded in every other thread.

smitty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode