Dust Collector - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

View oakdust's Photo Album My Photos
Dust Collector

A while back while doing research for a dust collector I saw a way to use a garbage can in place of the collection bag. It was like a cloth that connected to the top of the garbage can and the bottom of the collector. Know I canít seem to find it again. Has anyone else seen this or was I dreaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 PM

View Dan Mooney's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakdust View Post
A while back while doing research for a dust collector I saw a way to use a garbage can in place of the collection bag. It was like a cloth that connected to the top of the garbage can and the bottom of the collector. Know I canít seem to find it again. Has anyone else seen this or was I dreaming?
I'm not sure about a cloth to connect the dust collector to a trash can, but this is what I use on a trash can between my tools and the dust collector, it works great!

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4310

Hope it helps
Dan
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

View oakdust's Photo Album My Photos
I have one of the trash can cyclones and it does work great. But I am wanting to replace the bottom bag on the collector with a trash can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Two issues I want to touch on here...

#1. That separator lid, not bad, but you will want a baffle of sorts, like Phil Thien's design to keep the air from scrubbing the debris back up and into the DC.

#2. Why replace the lower bag with a trash can? Not sure what DC you are using, but there are plenty of heavy clear plastic lower bags that are easy on / easy off setups that make disposing of your dust a simple affair....

Honestly if you are using a good cyclone pre-separator it will be a VERY rare day you will need to empty the lower bag on your DC.... I have a Thien setup on my shop vac based system, and have only negligible dusting in the bottom of the vac after dumping the can 4 times. I figure I will burn up the vac before it needs to be emptied...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM

View Dan Mooney's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Two issues I want to touch on here...

#1. That separator lid, not bad, but you will want a baffle of sorts, like Phil Thien's design to keep the air from scrubbing the debris back up and into the DC.

#2. Why replace the lower bag with a trash can? Not sure what DC you are using, but there are plenty of heavy clear plastic lower bags that are easy on / easy off setups that make disposing of your dust a simple affair....

Honestly if you are using a good cyclone pre-separator it will be a VERY rare day you will need to empty the lower bag on your DC.... I have a Thien setup on my shop vac based system, and have only negligible dusting in the bottom of the vac after dumping the can 4 times. I figure I will burn up the vac before it needs to be emptied...
What are the baffles you mentioned, do you have a link to Phil Thien's design? I have a blast gate at all of my tools that are hooked up. Like you said I get about 4 times the debris in the seperator than I do in the bag.
Thanks
Dan

Jesus was a Woodworker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode