Dust collection set up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

View Chireaux's Photo Album My Photos
Dust collection set up

Hello guys, I am setting up a PVC under slab dust collection in a new home we are building. I was wanting to get a little feedback on my set up and see what you guys think. The first question that I have, is whether or not this set up would need to be grounded, being that the PVC pipe is already in the ground?
And the other question is whether or not you guys think that the set up would work well or if there's anyway I can improve it. FYI, the PVC pipe has to be in by Saturday.
I attached my chicken scratch diagram, but basically the center pipe in the middle of the room is 6 inch. Then there are three 4 inch branches on each side and two 4 inch branches in the middle for a total of eight hook ups.

The 4 inch branches will then go vertical through the slab and I would attach 4 inch tubing from here. So there are a total of eight hook ups dispersed throughout the room, each would have its own blast gate. I don't necessarily know where each tool will go, but this basically gives me access to every corner of the room. Also, will probably be going with the Oneida super gorilla.
Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-96366657.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	186202  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Don't. With the pipe buried there is no access to clear a clog. Also, the layout of your machinery cannot be changed.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 10:18 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
it's the thickness planer ...

First off, I would use 6" all through out. I would use soft sweeps rather than angled types at the intersection. It will be more expensive, but it will pretty much insure against clogs from certain wood on the jointer or planer.

You can run a wire down the main pipe and leave a tail on either end.... but not for grounding, it's not needed. The wire would be used to pull a "clog buster" made from a rag, a ball, or other object that won't get hung up in the pipe to clear out a clog.

I would center the DC if possible which would shorten the runs, instead of having a long run with the DC at one end. If that's not possible, then you have to work with the design you have.

As for my own system, both my Jet 1100 DC's are on mobile bases and I can roll then next to the machine when needed. I have a quick disconnect coupler and it only takes 15 secs. to hook them up. I use a short 4" dia. 6 ft or less flex hose, with pretty good results.

This may be helpful IF you stay above grade with your system. or for hooking up to your machines:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f7/du...art-1-a-20273/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It has been done many times with good results, most of the naysayers seem to be those that have no experience with it.
No need to ground it, for that matter grounding an overhead system does nothing more than preventing the operator from getting zapped by static once in a while.
Using 6" diameter piping will result in few if any clogs, biggest problem is fishing table saw nuts or washers out if you drop them.
Many prefer to put a trough through center of shop to contain DC piping along with compressed air and electrical wiring.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Good ideas. Thanks.
Woodnthings- your saying you would use 6 inch piping on the side branches and come vertical out of the slab with 6 inch. Then use a reducer at the slab and attach your flexible hose to it??
post #6 of 12 Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't worry too much about clogs in a buried pipe - you could always snake a smaller shop vac hose down from the other end and vacuum it out.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

OK, here is what I have so far. That took a lot more work than I thought it would but I am happy with how it came out. All I could find was 6 inch and 4 inch pipe, finding the 5 inch with the attachment is difficult when it comes to PVC. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-370126716.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	187225  

post #8 of 12 Old 10-01-2015, 09:44 PM

View kslaton's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good. I wish i would have done that when i poured my floors.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-02-2015, 01:26 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
When I build my own shop I am definitely doing this.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-03-2015, 12:00 AM

View ed_h's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't have the forethought to put in the piping beforehand, and even if I had, I didn't know then where my machines would be placed.

All wasn't lost, though. I put the ducts under the slab after the fact. Not ideal, but doable. More details and pics here: http://bullfire.net/Dust_Collection/...ollection.html

Ed

For just a little more, you can do it yourself.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM

View ste6168's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
I didn't have the forethought to put in the piping beforehand, and even if I had, I didn't know then where my machines would be placed.

All wasn't lost, though. I put the ducts under the slab after the fact. Not ideal, but doable. More details and pics here: http://bullfire.net/Dust_Collection/...ollection.html

Ed

Dude, right on! That is awesome!
post #12 of 12 Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post Ed, I like your set up.

We finally poured the slab! Here is what we have so far. Yea, I have no idea where my toolS will actually go, but it's such a small shop and I have piping pretty much all around the shop.

Dust collection set up-image-238667738.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode