Woodworking Talk banner

Dust collection ground,important??

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  IdaCurt 
#1 ·
I plan on using probably 20ft of pvc on my dust collection system,how important is it to ground?

#5 ·
#7 ·
Can we separate grain elevator explosions and home dust collection explosions?

In a grain elevator, the dust necessary to support a flash fire or explosion is so thick that unprotected breathing would be impossible.

This brings up an interesting discussion regarding fire. We all know of the fire triangle, fuel, heat or ignition and air (oxygen). In any airborne system where fire (explosion) is to be considered there is another "side" to the triangle. The dust must be in sufficient concentration to support combustion. Sorry folks, but a home shop can not generate enough dust to achieve the fourth side of the triangle.

As for the possibility of static causing enough heat to generate ignition is as close as possible to zero as statistics allow. First the flash point of the dust stream is much too high for ignition to happen. Second, a static discharge ain't lightening. The static doesn't have the energy to create the heat necessary for ignition.

Getting back to the original question, "Ground the dust collector?" The answer is absolutely. But just by plugging the DC in to a properly wired outlet, the DC is grounded. In reality, that's all that is needed. One assumes that all your power tools are plugged into correctly wired outlets.

While I don't know the wiring details, but on another site in another life, in a time long long ago, one of the members was shocked in his most private area as he leaned against the table saw. OUCH!!! As I said the "Why" is unknown but the posting was good for quite a few laughs for several years.

Now, next September, during the Santa Ana winds, I'm planning to host then next "Great American Belt Sander and Dust Collector Explosion Sand Off". We'll sand KD white wood and feed the saw dust into my dust collector. With all 24 of us sanding, I'll insert a burning propane torch into the dust stream to create the explosion. Any volunteers with a belt sander? :eek:

#8 ·
Although I haven't researched this subject to death, I have researched it some. There are two different things going on here. One is grounding for electrical shock and the other is grounding for static shock. The electrical shock is nothing to worry about. As long as you have a ground wire hooked up, you're fine. The other, static, is kind of a personal choice, although not entirely. First, static can't cause an explosion. At least not in the home shop. Second, can it kill you? Well, not directly. But if you get a static jolt while you're hand is next to a saw blade, the shock may cause you to jump and you may get hurt pretty bad. But as far as an explosion, there is no way that it will happen. So, if you don't like a static shock (not many do) then ground it. But realize that you are grounding it so you don't get a static shock, not because you don't want an explosion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.