dumb question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

View hawglet's Photo Album My Photos
dumb question

Okay, I'm wanting to make an end grain cutting board, however, our local stores don't stock anything thicker than 4/4 except in Red Oak which is not only too porous probably but also way over used in contemporary times by my mind. So, I'm looking at the possibility of using 4/4 boards, however, this will limit my cutting board thickness, or is it the squares dimension that it will limit? Oh damn it, every time I've decided that answer a is right, answer b looks right. This is why I wouldn't be a good mechanical engineer I guess. Thanks guys, I'm a fool!

~Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Not a dumb question at all. It does get rather confusing. It will limit your squares dimension if you are wanting a square checkerboard pattern. The thickness can be however thick you want to cut it. This is one of the best videos I've watched on making an end grain cutting board. He's a little 10-96 (cop humor) but his video is easy to follow
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Basically you would set the edge up so the knife would kinda go between the grain.On a 4/4 that would limit the size of the square to about 1" square.I hope I explained it ok!

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

so my block thickness could potentially be 1x2 but not 2x3 so to speak. I'm using the CBdesigner to get an idea of what things are going to look like but just wanted to be sure that i was getting the right dimensions put into the right fields. Thanks for the speedy response, it's a huge help to a fool. I guess I should stay away from projects that require making cuts, glueing back together and again cutting and then glueing again. Kinda sounds foolish in those terms.

~Greg
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

First set of cutting board thickness and second set of cutting is block dimensions right, or is that backwards? If it wasn't nearing bed time and a cold garage I would pull the table saw out right now! I'm frustrating myself! Sorry.

~Greg
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglet View Post
so my block thickness could potentially be 1x2 but not 2x3 so to speak.
Your block width can be 1X2 or 1X1 or 1X whatever depending on how you rip your board, but yes, one dimension will always be "1" on 4/4 stock. Your block thickness can be however thick you want it depending on how you crosscut your board. Remember you're flipping the pieces up and gluing the face grain sides.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM

View sketel's Photo Album My Photos
seems a shame to buy material to make a cutting board. You could probably find a cabinet shop willing to part with their end cuts for free. I even used to stroke sand 20 cutting boards at a time for a lady that sold exotic wood cutting boards. She was able to make and sell a good 100-200 boards per year all out of free wood.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-05-2010, 12:14 AM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to suggest the same thing... scrap, scrap, scrap. If not your scrap wood, use your neighbors. If your neighbor doesn't have any, go to your local mill and offer them a couple of bucks for scraps.
I make cutting boards and boxes for gifts, just to get rid of the scrap that I feel too guilty to burn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode