Duct work question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By redeared

post #1 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

View wolfgang953's Photo Album My Photos
Duct work question

As part of the room being made in the basement, i have to have some duct work that vents outside for the portable AC. (my chinchilla room and they MUST be kept cool at all times. And a portable AC unit requires the ability to vent hot air outside. Tho the unit has an intake vent and an exhaust vent.)

I purchased the AC unit maybe 1.5~ years ago. (Cant believe its taken this long). I also had the vent unit itself, that goes through the wall to the outside of the house, put around the same time. So neither of those can be changed.

I did find out later that the diameter of the vent piece in the wall to the outside does not match the diameter of the vent tubes coming off the AC unit. I also have no more funding for this room, so im going to have to make due with the two vent pipes i already have. Thus my questions...

The wall of the room in the basement is around 2ft in from the cinder block wall of the basement. (long story but it has to be that way for now.) I also need the vent piping to come into the room far enough to reach where the AC will be. (Precise placement to be determined when everything is done, so im using best guess atm.)

Since it has been such a long time period and so much other stuff to do, i often wasnt thinking about this part since it was far off in the future. One day, many months ago, i walked by this (pic below) in the store and picked it up. Not sure if it would be the right size or not, but i was there. It beat a trip back later and helped me get an idea of what i was working with. So i grabbed two of these. They were a 4" diameter and 2ft long.

It fits in the outside vent piece fairly well. Tho has very small gaps since they dont fit 100% perfectly. (dont mind the second piece on the left yet)

But, as i said, it doesnt fit the AC vents. And as i looked into it, i found that none of them really do. All the vent pieces i saw were solid inch diameters. 4in dia, 5in, 6 in dia, ect. And the AC vents look to be on the 1/2" mark. So either way, im going to have to be playing around with some stuff here.

I also had gotten two larger vent pieces at some point. They are 5" diameter and 5ft long.

The 5ft piece goes well into the room. So i should be able to work with that.

The wall vent piece is roughly 4" diameter.
The AC piece iir is around 4.5" to 5" diameter.
So with those two pieces (4in diameter/2ft long and 5in diameter/5ft long) i have to make this work.

Id rather avoid cutting anything, cause if i mess up, i cant replace them. And they are kind of essential.

So my two questions are
1: The best way to do this.
Putting the 4" dia piece into the wall gives that side the best fit. Maybe put that in and then have the 5" dia piece overlap it? Or maybe just let the 5" one run straight to the wall without the 4" piece inside?

2: Either way, i will have some gaps to be filled. The size, depending on how i chose to do this. What is the best way to do this? Spray foam insulation, caulk, duct tape, compound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Duct work question

Have you tried finding an adaptor from 4 inch to 5 inch? They shouldn’t be hard to find at your favorite big box store. Will make a solid connection.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
Have you tried finding an adaptor from 4 inch to 5 inch? They shouldn’t be hard to find at your favorite big box store. Will make a solid connection.

i havnt seen one. Would certainly be a nice thing to have'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

finding a few through google search now. When i looked before on stores websites i wasnt finding anything. Oh well. Certainly would be a much more simple solution if it fits. Thank you.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 09:43 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-F...R5X4/100128235

If all else fails just duct around it to make up the difference.
gj13us likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Is there such a thing as a 4-to-5 PVC connector? Interesting project.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Got a reducer.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-5-...cer/1000230183

Of course i forgot to take into account that both the 4in vent pip in the wall, and the 4in side of the reducer are the same.. so they dont go together. Now ill have to get a 4in crimped connector piece.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-4-...tor/1000230165

Its always something'
post #8 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Is it possible to reverse the direction of the pipes that are going to the outside?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #9 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Is it possible to reverse the direction of the pipes that are going to the outside?

im not sure, but im thinking not. The pipe goes through the cinder block foundation to the outside. Inside the pipe is flush with the wall. Out side it has one of those dry vent cover things to try and keep animals and debris out of it. So even if i could get it out of the cinder block without destroying anything, im not sure i could reverse the pipe and will have that protector piece on the outside. - At least the connector piece i have to get isnt overly expensive.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 01:59 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang953 View Post
im not sure, but im thinking not. The pipe goes through the cinder block foundation to the outside. Inside the pipe is flush with the wall. Out side it has one of those dry vent cover things to try and keep animals and debris out of it. So even if i could get it out of the cinder block without destroying anything, im not sure i could reverse the pipe and will have that protector piece on the outside. - At least the connector piece i have to get isnt overly expensive.
Makes sense.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #11 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 02:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would let my fingers do the walking and find a nearby sheet metal shop. They can fabricate the adapters that you need to fit each piece to another. I have had this type of work done before and it is not very expensive.

The same shop also made pans to go under my rabbit pen and chicken brooders. You might want to be aware of this for your chinchillas.

George
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 06:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Get or rent this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang953 View Post
Got a reducer.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-5-...cer/1000230183

Of course i forgot to take into account that both the 4in vent pip in the wall, and the 4in side of the reducer are the same.. so they dont go together. Now ill have to get a 4in crimped connector piece.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-4-...tor/1000230165

Its always something'

You can make you own crimps on plain pipe with this tool:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiss-1-5...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode