Drum Sander Burning End - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

View BanditGTP's Photo Album My Photos
Drum Sander Burning End

I was wondering if someone can point out what I might be doing wrong. I'm making a few end grain cutting boards and when I run them through my drum sander (Performax 16-32) they start to get burn streaks. I've tried several different combinations like changing the feed rate, changing the grit and also the amount being removed. I don't have a lot of experience with my drum sander so it may definitely be user error.

The boards are maple and walnut. I've tried from 80 grit to 150. I've been rotating and even flipping it between passes so I'm not always sanding the same side.

Should I be letting the boards rest after each pass to let them cool down? I'm not doing anything crazy like trying to hog out a lot of material in 1 pass. I'm doing light passes and even sending it through 2 or 3 times before I even lower the head and then when I do lower the head, I'm only going 1/4 turn on the handle.

Christmas is sneaking up on me and I need to get these done. I've got a few more I want to get started but this sander is killing me.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The sander only has to hesitate a little to cause it to burn. The culprit is probably the feed rollers. I would check to see if there is sufficient pressure or some damage to the rollers.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Is the glue completely cured? Or it may be resin from the wood. Ive had buildup on the sandpaper from resin that will leave burn marks on the next pass. High spots may do this from excess pressure at that spot.
It may be neccesary to break out the hand plane to level the board before the finishing pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
my guess is too deep a pass. we lower ours 1/8 turn at a time.

if they have to cool down, it is likely too aggressive of a cut.

seems once a drum starts to burn it won't stop, you may need to change it (paper) out if cleaning it doesn't help.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
On the right side of the drum, nearest the motor, see if the last wrap has doubled over itself. The wrap should be tight from the left to the last wrap and there should be a gap in the last half of the wrap, before it goes into the tension lock.

A proper wrap should look like this -
Name:  006 - Proper wrap.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  88.4 KB

Do you have any photos of the burning?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the drum and one of the boards that had burn marks. The board was a lot worse but I was able to remove most of it by running it through the sander with newer sand paper but just when I thought it was going good, it started to leave small streaks in it again.

Name:  IMG_6653.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6652.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  77.2 KB
post #7 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 12:18 PM

With end grain it doesn't take much to generate enough heat to burn. You might use much coarser paper to work it down flat and only do light sanding with the grit you are currently using.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

How low of a grit would you suggest to start with? I think the current paper on the drum is 80 but I do have lower on hand. I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure I have a few rolls of 36. Also...with such a low grit what feed speed would you suggest.

Last edited by BanditGTP; 11-22-2017 at 12:35 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM

The grit depends on just how rough the board is to begin with. Under normal circumstances I think 60 grit would be a good starting point.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Out of curiosity, what's your feed rate? Just wondering if you're feeding too slow. The board as shown looks pretty flat already so I'd probably be around 120 and working my way to 150 if that's the case. Oh, and I'll ditto what Steve said about starting at 60. Scratches from 36 will be difficult to get out. I personally don't go below 80 but usually start at 100.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #11 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
my guess is too deep a pass. we lower ours 1/8 turn at a time.

if they have to cool down, it is likely too aggressive of a cut.

seems once a drum starts to burn it won't stop, you may need to change it (paper) out if cleaning it doesn't help.
+1: I would start with this. You want to take a super light cut. Anything more can bog a small sander down.
If itís a fresh glue-up I would start with 60 until itís smooth and even to the touch. If itís already smooth to the touch I would go with 100.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 12 Old 11-22-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. As soon as I get some time again to get in my shop, I'll try to start from the beginning with 80 grit and set the feed rate to 40 (out of 100) with a very light pass and then work my way up from there.

The last few time when I was having problems with the burning, I thought I was feeding it too fast (40-50) so lately I slowed it down (20-30) but still having the problem. If I recall correctly, the first pass is usually ok but then as I keep running the board through the sander, it starts to get worse.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test out my technique to see what is going on.

Thanks again and I hope you and your families have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode