Drilling a perfectly centered hole in a dowel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Quickstep
  • 1 Post By Packard
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 1 Post By holtzdreher
  • 1 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Drilling a perfectly centered hole in a dowel

I'm trying to drill a perfectly centered hole in a 3/4" dowel. I made a cradle with a V notch in it and centered it below the bit on my drill press table. I'm drilling a 3/8" hole using a forstner bit. Despite what I thought were my best efforts, the hole is slightly off center. Are there better ways to do this?
jringo8769 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 12:36 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
You need another v-block with a perfectly centered hole that can act as a drill bit guide. There are several commercially available ones made. Here is an example.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...sories/2410769

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Are you clamping the dowel in place with the drill press table locked, if not it can tend to roll as you drill. Is the quill tight in your drill press, many have a bit of slop that allows the bit to wander so you may need the second vee block as suggested.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Last edited by FrankC; 05-08-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Use a doweling jig ...

An inexpensive doweling jig from H-F, self-centers itself on the object to be drilled whether it's flat or round. The guide bushings are in various standard drill sizes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-c...jig-41345.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 01:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
An inexpensive doweling jig from H-F, self-centers itself on the object to be drilled whether it's flat or round. The guide bushings are in various standard drill sizes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-c...jig-41345.html

Is that your doweling jig? I bought one and the indicator mark was off centered from where the hole drills. I took it back and looked at ten more on the shelf and the one I took back was the best. There was a couple that was 1/8" off.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 02:26 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Is that your doweling jig? I bought one and the indicator mark was off centered from where the hole drills. I took it back and looked at ten more on the shelf and the one I took back was the best. There was a couple that was 1/8" off.
I have one from way back in the early 90's, before HF, haven't used the thing in decades...

To get a perfectly centered hole in a dowel, you need to do it in a lathe.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 PM
where's my table saw?

No .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I have one from way back in the early 90's, before HF, haven't used the thing in decades...

To get a perfectly centered hole in a dowel, you need to do it in a lathe.

You need a lathe for drilling in the end, OP wants to cross drill, that's why I suggested the doweling jig.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 03:17 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I have this drill guide. It is designed to drill in the center of round items like dowels as well as flat stock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The bushings area bit loose in the plastic housing and the bushings are a bit oversized for the bits. So while it will center the hole, I can't guarantee that the hole will be perfectly perpendicular.

There are other more precise versions but they all are equipped with metric sized bushings.

Just $15.00 and handy.

The "Big Gator" is probably more accurate: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_UL320_.jpg

But at $32.00 more expensive and less suited for what I needed one for. It is available in imperial and metric sizes. https://www.amazon.com/BIG-GATOR-TOO...A32R3TUZ3HYUGD

If you have a drill press, then this home made jig will work:

Get a short length of 2" x 4" stock.

Set your table saw blade at 45 degrees.

Make two 45 degree cuts in the middle of the 2 x 4 resulting in a v-notch running lengthwise.

Chuck your drillbit in your drill press. With the motor not running lower the bit to the exact center of the V notch. Clamp the 2 x 4 to the drill press table.

Place the dowel in the v-notch and then drill your holes.
RogerInColorado likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
or yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
You need a lathe for drilling in the end, OP wants to cross drill, that's why I suggested the doweling jig.
Actually the OP doesn't specifically state that he is doing either, and based on the other thread where he posted about drill press setup, and drilling into the end of a 30" piece it makes me wonder?

I'm trying to drill a perfectly centered hole in a 3/4" dowel.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/d...-setup-212069/
post #10 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 04:12 PM
where's my table saw?

based on this .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I'm trying to drill a perfectly centered hole in a 3/4" dowel. I made a cradle with a V notch in it and centered it below the bit on my drill press table. I'm drilling a 3/8" hole using a forstner bit. Despite what I thought were my best efforts, the hole is slightly off center. Are there better ways to do this?

If he had said "drilling into" we still woundn't know for sure. For me, the hint was the "cradle with a V notch". As a lathe owner, I agree if the hole is in the end, but maybe we provided enough answers for either condition.....

post #11 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Is this what you are trying to do? The problem might be the bit you are using. I drilled this with a brad point bit which made it easier. A metal cutting bit would be more difficult to control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2015.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	375155  

post #12 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
OK, you've made a "V" jig. A good first step.

Put a fence on your drill press. Use a 1/16 drill bit and center the jig against the fence. Futz with it until you get it perfect. Drill the 1/16 hole. Make sure that it is perfect. This is a pilot hole. Change the drill bit to your 3/8 bit. Drill your 3/8 hole.

Possible problems. If you are off center, the drill bit is not 90° to the table or the quill (The thing that holds the chuck.) in on an eccentric or wobbles.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #13 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 11:42 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
If it is a short piece of dowel. Mount it sideways in a lathe chuck and put a drill chuck in the tail stock and drill the hole. It will be centered within two or three thousandths of an inch. I drill 1/4 dowel pieces length wise on a lathe. even with a 3/16 hole.
NoThankyou likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I am (was) trying to center it in the side of the dowel.

I ended up contrapting the jig in the picture. I Carefully centered holes in the side and top of a well jointed 2x4.

Along the way though, I noticed that my Forster bit had developed a rim around the cutting edge that probably was steering it crooked. It must have hit something hard that caused the edge to splay out. I ground that off and all seems well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E683CC27-E489-498C-A844-6DA40DB81C92_1557404709559.jpg (430.9 KB, 26 views)
woodnthings likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
ducbsa (05-10-2019)
post #15 of 16 Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
fwiw, I trust brad point bits more in this situation.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-09-2019, 12:36 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I am (was) trying to center it in the side of the dowel.

I ended up contrapting the jig in the picture. I Carefully centered holes in the side and top of a well jointed 2x4.

Along the way though, I noticed that my Forster bit had developed a rim around the cutting edge that probably was steering it crooked. It must have hit something hard that caused the edge to splay out. I ground that off and all seems well.
Very simple and elegant solution.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode