Drilling large hole over small hole and vise-versa - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

View niki's Photo Album My Photos
Drilling large hole over small hole and vise-versa

Good day

I have a cheap DP and when I want to change the table height I have to unlock the table and while turning it left/right pull it up or push it down.

I have no problems till I want to drill a large hole over small hole or vice-versa. In this case you must maintain the table at the same position.

But, if one drill is long and the other is short, you must re-adjust the table height and it is very difficult to return to the same position so the large hole will be drilled at the center of the small hole or, the small hole over the large hole center.

Regards
niki

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM

View ajh359's Photo Album My Photos
I would drill the large hole and drill the small because you will have a pilot hole there. Use a short bit so that you do not have move your table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 PM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
You are wanting to drill a large hole over a small hole, why don't you just glue a dowel/plug in the hole and redrill? Maybe I missed something, but it seems like you went a long way to drill one hole over another.

I like your ingenuity and engineering skills, not to mention your photography and computer savy.

Last edited by Ohio Ron; 12-30-2007 at 09:31 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Ohio Ron
Thank you for your kind words

OK, so here is the story....

I'm pre-cutting wheels in a few diameters to be used as knobs for jigs.

I cut them with Hole Saw that leaves the 1/4" hole at the center. I don't use them immediately but only when I need them for a jig.

But, I don't know which T-nut or bolt size I will be using...sometimes it's 1/4", sometimes 5/16" or 3/8".

When it comes to actual, sometimes I have to enlarge the 1/4" hole to 5/16", 3/8" or other for the T-Nut to go in and I have to drill a larger hole...not all the way but, just for the T-nut to sink in.

So, I'm talking about a situation that the small hole is already drilled and I want to drill Larger hole all the way and even more larger hole half way...and I still want them both at the center...so, I have to change drills from the 1/4", that is used to locate the center and clamp the wheel to the DP table...

After the wheel is clamped to the table, I have to change to larger dia drill that is usually also longer drill bit and I must move the DP table down (or up) but still come back and lock it at the same point.

Regards
niki
post #6 of 10 Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
Make a lot of sense now, thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 12-31-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Ron View Post
Make a lot of sense now, thanks
Yes I understand now what you are doing now. Get you a small machinist vice and make you a 1/4" line up pin.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Ajh359
I have machinist vice (came with the DP) but I don't like to use it. Instead, I'm using different method like on this pic (from other post that I'll post soon)

Happy New Year
niki
Drilling large hole over small hole and vise-versa-28.jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM

I guest it makes no difference as long you can center it. Being a X mechanical engineer for so long, I have did a lot of making parts for some of the projects of prototypes. You have to make your own parts and this kind of vise a lot.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

You are correct, as long as you achieve your goal, the method is not so important.

I think that you (I mean, Americans) are saying "there are many ways to strip a cat".....that's way we have so many jigs to perform the same task :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode