Drill caught on fire last evening - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 05-05-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Treated Pressure Lumber

View GeorgeR.Pel_Ohio's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeR.Pel_Ohio
Exclamation Drill caught on fire last evening

Hello,
Last evening, my Craftsman C3 drill caught on fire.
Several sparks and a lot of smoke pouring out of the rear vents near the level.
Only had the drill for 2 years, only ever saw light weekend use.
The smoke was awful, full of phenolics and other plastic vapors, - nasty.
My 19.2V battery is going strong, but this C3 drill is definitely shot.
I was wondering if there is a recall issued for these drills?
I am holding on to the defective drill in case there was a recall on the C3 Drill or somebody from Craftsman wants to look at it.
Can somebody let me know if there was a recall on these C3's made around 2012? Luckily I had a spare, since the batteries usually die before the drill, I had a drill from 2010 that is the predecessor to the C3 that uses the same 19.2V battery. This is the much heavier older 2010 or so model.

Best regards,

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear about your drill, wouldn't a call to Sears answer your question?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 20 Old 05-05-2015, 12:17 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
no craftsman tool recalls on the CPSC website that I see. Probably just bad luck :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What were you drilling when it burned up. Some jobs are too much for a cordless drill.

After two years the warranty has long since expired. The only thing you can do is trash the drill and go buy another. If you bought another the same model you would have an extra battery.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-05-2015, 04:20 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Rut ro. I have one of those, maybe I should sniff it once in a while.

Don't let Al see this lol.

Dave in CT, USA
post #6 of 20 Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
So started on fire equals flames, what sounds to me happened is the motor burned up, which while not good, is very different than started on fire.

What were you drilling with (bit and material) and how heavily has this been used??

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #7 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM

View arvanlaar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
What were you drilling with (bit and material) and how heavily has this been used??
I think he mentioned that he only used it for light weekend work.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 11:37 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
get a new one

Once the smoke clears and the fire is out you can pitch it.
New one at Sears for $80.00 :
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-17191...p-00917191000P

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar
Rut ro. I have one of those, maybe I should sniff it once in a while. Don't let Al see this lol.
It'll knock him off his kite laughing.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 PM
where's my table saw?

whatsatUsay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
no craftsman tool recalls on the CPSC website that I see. Probably just bad luck :/
No Craftsman tools on recall? Not possible since they are all junk. Must be a error in statistics or lack of Federal oversight.... Long live Craftsman tools.

I have a whole shop full of them, some from the '80's and '90's. A newer 6" jointer and a 10" Hybrid table saw, a real beauty and accurate. Also 3 Craftsman bandsaws, 3 Craftsman table saws all joined together at the hip. And a 4th for spare parts if ever needed....just sayin'

Go fly a kite Al.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
epicfail48 (05-06-2015)
post #11 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 PM

View OldEd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What were you drilling when it burned up. Some jobs are too much for a cordless drill.

After two years the warranty has long since expired. The only thing you can do is trash the drill and go buy another. If you bought another the same model you would have an extra battery.

Sorry - I DO NOT AGREE!!! A drill might die, that I can understand. But just catch fire like that??? I think that a call to Craftsman/Sears is definitely in order. Also maybe one to the CPSC. In any case, DON'T just toss the unit. Write down all the details you can about what happened before it caught fire, and then what you can remember of it's usage history.

Hey - it might be "just a fluke", but... I think some of those Chevy's that just stopped on the highway (due to the little problem with the switch...) were written off as "just a fluke".
post #12 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
No Craftsman tools on recall? Not possible since they are all junk. Must be a error in statistics or lack of Federal oversight.... Long live Craftsman tools.

I have a whole shop full of them, some from the '80's and '90's. A newer 6" jointer and a 10" Hybrid table saw, a real beauty and accurate. Also 3 Craftsman bandsaws, 3 Craftsman table saws all joined together at the hip. And a 4th for spare parts if ever needed....just sayin'

Go fly a kite Al.
Where is Al? He hasn't been here in a week.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 PM
where's my table saw?

he is ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Where is Al? He hasn't been here in a week.

He's upstairs in the basement, flying kites off the roof....

post #14 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEd View Post
Sorry - I DO NOT AGREE!!! A drill might die, that I can understand. But just catch fire like that??? I think that a call to Craftsman/Sears is definitely in order. Also maybe one to the CPSC. In any case, DON'T just toss the unit. Write down all the details you can about what happened before it caught fire, and then what you can remember of it's usage history.

Hey - it might be "just a fluke", but... I think some of those Chevy's that just stopped on the highway (due to the little problem with the switch...) were written off as "just a fluke".
I dont think it caught on fire... the winding shorted, some sparks in the case, and smoke/melted plastic. Theres nothing particularly flammable in a drill, unless its caked with wood dust (which could be responsible for the short)

It can happen, its not a danger to anything but your wallet.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Treated Pressure Lumber

Was drilling a small piece of cedar when this happened

Hello Steve and All.

Was only drilling a soft piece of cedar with a new bit. Might have as well been drilling any soft wood for that matter. Drill was only powered on for 5 seconds or so before smoke and sparking began.
I only use this drill for light duty jobs around the house. I have hammer drills and impact tools when those jobs are required.

I still have the C3 Drill , serial # and purchase information for my local Sears retailer, and the battery in case there is a way to get it replaced.
- The smoke that came out of the drill was toxic and choking, so I disagree with the above post about no harm coming from this.
Thanks,

George
post #16 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Sawdust Creator

Well technically all smoke is toxic....but that's a different story.

What you experienced is the drill dying, no recalls that I've ever heard of, and honestly it will eventually happen to most of the drills out there. I have a dewalt that I'm pretty sures getting close to giving up the blue smoke.

post #17 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR.Pel_Ohio View Post
Hello Steve and All.

Was only drilling a soft piece of cedar with a new bit. Might have as well been drilling any soft wood for that matter. Drill was only powered on for 5 seconds or so before smoke and sparking began.
I only use this drill for light duty jobs around the house. I have hammer drills and impact tools when those jobs are required.

I still have the C3 Drill , serial # and purchase information for my local Sears retailer, and the battery in case there is a way to get it replaced.
- The smoke that came out of the drill was toxic and choking, so I disagree with the above post about no harm coming from this.
Thanks,

George
did you run analysis on the smoke or something?

I mean, I dont make a habit of inhaling burning plastic, but I dont think you ran to the ER or need to worry about impending doom.

Take it back to sears, see if they'll replace it for free... Otherwise move on and enjoy life, as stated up front, there is no recall for that, or any other, craftsman power tool. They do burn up on occasion, its not a big deal.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Treated Pressure Lumber

Yes, actually, I used to work in an Akron polymer testing lab and can distinguish the smell of burnt phenolics from burnt plasticizers we tested. I know how to run residue through a GC and list the report of what the contents of the smoke were, if you are so interested.
Normally, I would not be too concerned from smoke, but this happened to take place in my kitchen, while my family was in the proximity.

Last edited by GeorgeR.Pel_Ohio; 05-07-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Sawdust Creator

But that's not the point...the drill didn't start on fire, the motor burned out right?? Electric motors eventually do that, yes it sucked it happened to yours, but that happens to all brands from time to time. What quite a few people are trying to say is unless the drill truly flamed up and burned, what happened is a typical failure.

post #20 of 20 Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to read about your "smoking " situation with your drill. Years ago ALL Sears Craftsman tools were guaranteed for life (not to say if it was the owners life or the tool life), and would be replaced FREE. Then Sears dropped the guarantee on all electrical items, & now any Craftsman tools have only a warrantee of a few months. Be thankful no one was injured and that your homestead is still standing. Be safe.

Tags
craftsman, danger, drill, fire, smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode